Diagnosed at 74

Pam R

I have been knocked sideways by a diagnosis of type1 diabetes at 74! I am coping well with the blood testing and insulin but have started to put on a bit of weight! I am trying the Low Carb Diet but need to start some exercise. Can anyone suggest a startup plan?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear that. Y was diagnosed as T2 when I was 70 and that was a big shock as I was normal weight with no symptoms at all despite very high glucose and HbA1c levels. Not sure what your level of fitness is but I was already fairly fit as I was on my feet rushing around at work most of the day and doing my horses morning and evening.

Y worked in a lab (no eating or drinking) and rarely had time to stop to eat or drink during the day so I had to give up work. I bought myself a treadmill when I left work and that is great as you can use it at any time and watch telly at the same time and I don't get cold and wet when it is raining!!! If you go on the NHS website you will find lots of exercises which are safe to do.

Reactions: Pam R
D

Deleted Account

Welcome to the type 1 club. I remember my diagnosis was a shock but being told "diabetes should not stop you doing what you want" kept me on track and determined.
Bear in mind you probably lost some weight before you were diagnosed so it is common to put on some weight as your body stops trying to burn your muscle and fat for energy.

However, exercise is always a good idea, not just for weight loss. In my mind, there are two important things to consider with exercise and diabetes:
  1. Test your BG a lot before during and after exercise. Depending on the exercise you choice, your BG may go up or down during exercise and may continue to fall for up to 48 hours afterwards. So always keep your hypos treatment close to hand.
  2. Do an exercise that you enjoy and do not find a chore. There are many option out there from joining a gym to putting on your dancing shoes to gardening or enjoying a walk.
Any start up plan will depend on what your current fitness level is so I do not think it is appropriate to make any suggestions here ... apart from finding something you enjoy.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Pam.

I was diagnosed at 61. It did come as a shock. I was initially thought to have Tyoe 2 but following the antibody tests It was confirmed that I have type 1.

It does take adjustment in particularly carb counting and remembering to take the things I need when I go out. Always having Jelly babies in my pocket.

Take one day at a time and use your diabetes time for support. This forum is an excellent place for advice and support.

Take care

Reactions: Pam R

Pam R

Thanks to you all for positive feedback! I enjoy walking and try to walk every day! I live in a beautiful part of North Yorkshire so it is not a chore! Also garden as often as our weather lets me! I used to swim twice a week so I think I will try and get back to that as well!