Diagnosed today.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once again folks thanks for all your help. I had a lovely Greek Yog/blueberries and almond mix for breakfast and will test in an hour.

So today my blood test meter arrived - so exciting love technology - shame about the finger prick!

I had dinner last night at 830pm and a cuppa about 930pm then nothing before the test I did as soon as it arrived at 945am today. My blood was 6.6mmol. Very early days and nothing great but it wasn't horrific either!

I have read so much great advice already and one the things particularly good for a newbie I think is the carbs and cals app, it is brilliant. I was just so ignorant about carbs and sugar it has stunned me. I dread to think how many carbs I had even last week! Let alone free sugar.
Ohhhhh 9mmol after 2 hours - feels a bit high.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ohhhhh 9mmol after 2 hours - feels a bit high.
What was your before b/fast reading because, regardless of the starting figure, a rise of 2 after 2 hours is acceptable particularly when you are still getting used to 'eating to your meter'.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wont give a blow by blow account - but lovely dinner tonight - very few carbs indeed and blood went from 6.6 before dinner to 7.5 after dinner!

debbiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be good to know more detail if you wanted to share on your first three months.

The confusion I have on satins is that they now come with a warning that they raise blood sugar which is not ideal when you are trying so hard to lower it.

Would love to hear people's experiences of that.

Dean.

My first three months not good , was not given alot of information by doctor or diabetic nurse , i was told i need to get my cholesterol down from 6 , to have a life style change , low carb diet and to go join diabetes site , i was put on statin , no medication for diabetes , for first 3 months diet alone , i started low carb diet , sad to say i lasted a week ,then went into denial about my diabetes , yes i did what i said i never would do , ate what i wanted , now 3 months down line , 2 kgs lighter and after 3 infections im now on Metformin 500 mg 1 a day for a week then 2 a day , eating healthier , im on low carb diet ,its early days but Metformin isnt agreeing with me , suffering with stomach upsets , but its early days . weight was 120kgs now 113kgs , alo been told not to test my blood at moment DN will do that in 3 months time .HBA1C 6.9 on 5th may 2017 , its gone up since January from 6.5

Last edited:

debbiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Were I in your position I would read up on statins and cholesterol and see if you really want to artificially lower your levels. For females they have been shown to be fairly ineffective against CVD and higher levels of cholesterol have been shown to be beneficial to overall health.. might be worth some research.

thanks so far ive lost 7 kgs now 113kg and thats without trying , my overall cholesterol level was 6 and after test on 5th may its now 4.9 so something is working , truth i dont want to be on statin so looking at stopping it . now im eating healthier , low carbs im finally on right track .:)

Reactions: Liam1955

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - sorry to keep asking questions I hope no one minds.
I have been going for it on my low card diet and at the weekend probably did around 20-40 a day. My T2 was first detected with a urine sample and a couple of time over the last couple of weeks I have just checked after fasting to see whether I have stopped the over spill of sugar into my urine. So the good news is I have done that.

But on this mornings readings two new things to look up flagged up. 1. A lot of Ketones in my urine. I think this is probably good news as I am trying to burn fat and give insulin a rest?
Secondly - and a lot less clear is that my specific gravity was really high to. A lot less information of this around.

BG through bloods are stable and lower that they were.

Any advice on the other readings?

Many thanks

Dean.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ketones are expected on a low carb diet, so nothing to worry about.

As for the specific gravity, I have no idea, but I doubt it's an issue.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ketones are expected on a low carb diet, so nothing to worry about.

As for the specific gravity, I have no idea, but I doubt it's an issue.
Thanks NoCrbs4Me.

I had my appointment with the surgery nurse just this afternoon and she said exactly the same thing - they do not even measure specific gravity so she said don't worry about it too.

I really do appreciate the advice and support on this forum - I have learnt a load already and it is still really only day 5.

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided to buy a libra and enough pads for two months as I see how important testing is. Last night was the first night and when I woke up I was able to scan it straight away and it said 4.7. Really pleased I went downstairs and did an blood test on my meter and it said 6.0.
I checked libra again 4.9. I have had mixed results with blood meter from 6.1,6.4,7.1 in three consecutive immediate tests. Is there a technique to testing blood I am getting wrong? To much to little - strip issues?

Any tips because not only do i not get the variability I don't understand the lack of alignment either.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, the discrepancy between home blood tests is unavoidable.
The manufacturers are required that their tests are =/- 15% of the real figure, almost all the time.
Even the same meter will throw out different numbers from the same drop of blood.

Basically, they are only broadly speaking accurate.
It is very easy to forget this when we use just one meter, and it tests fairly consistently. But as soon as we switch to a different meter, we notice it.

In my experience, the Libre almost always tests lower than a finger prick test. And each different sensor tends to be consistent, but will be testing slightly higher or lower than the others.

It is a combination of things - where you have it on your arm, tiny variations in the sensors, how your body reacts to the sensor...
They all add up to make small differences which then affect the reading.

However, having said all of that, as a T2, you don't need total accuracy for insulin dose calculations, and you have already seen huge improvements in your blood glucose due to your diet changes - which has shown up beautifully in your home blood tests.

If you use the Libre with the mind set that any individual reading is only roughly accurate
But the trends, rises, falls, arrows showing speed of rise and fall, are what you need.
It is those that will show you how your body reacts to certain foods and portions, and they will give you an excellent indication of your overall control.

Hope that helps!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a chance to look at Libra over 24hours now - really interesting.
Blood sugars go down and stay down all night. Even with breakfast of just almonds this morning - moving around and going to work raised it by 1.2. So not much really and it remained there all day - slight peek after high card low fat lunch and very small evening snack of cheese and almonds. Now it is at 4.4. Blood test meter says 6.0 which is an all time low for evening reading.

The forum provides a raft of useful information - I am so glad I found it or I would still be having toast for breakfast.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I think I must have a dodgy sensor.
I woke up in the middle of the night - did a quick scan - 2.7. Not likely really felt fine went back to sleep work up at 7am tested - 3,4. Came down stairs and did my meter test 6.0 again. So waited 30mins for the scanner to catch up and tried again - 4.2. So the gap between sensor and meter is now well over 15% and there is no way at all I would be anywhere near 2.7 at night would I?