Diagnosed type 2 but not convinced?

Milli27

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 2 in my 50’s but it did not make sense. Lifestyle, diet and exercise, really good throughout my life. No family history. No visceral fat. Tested for type 1 but not type 1. Healthy BMI and weight throughout life. Lost weight for no reason when first diagnosed type 2. It took 18 months but my final diagnosis (after a CT scan of my Pancreas) was an enzyme deficiency and type 3c diabetes as a result of pancreatic damage (shown on the CT scan). (There are different cause of 3c, this is just one of them). There are also different causes of the pancreatic damage. In my case it was not excessive alcohol/surgery/anything else (which it is over 80% of the time)and after recent DNA testing it has been diagnosed as genetic. It looks like what was put down to IBS from aged 19 was actually chronic pancreatitis. I am now on enzyme replacement therapy: Creon, which is working really well. I started on metformin, which worked for a while, then added Gliclazide, which worked for a while and within 2 years was on insulin. My sugar levels can drop dramatically and it is really difficult to manage them, especially as I exercise a lot. Apparently with type 3c the pancreas damage means that Glucogen is not produced as well as insulin (simply put this is a hormone released by the pancreas which does the opposite to insulin). I have a Libre 2 glucose sensor now (brilliant and liberating) and am hoping to upgrade to Libre 3 and an insulin pump, which should help to get my sugar levels within range more of the time, help stop so many lows and help reduce all the input and monitoring I have to do. I am posting this in the hope that if any of these things ring a bell to others newly diagnosed with similar circumstances they can ask some questions. I am very lucky to have a superb team of professionals helping me. So at this stage I do not need help or advice, although that could change if I start with a pump.

Garek

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It does sound like you have a good team looking after you! Glad it’s all going well for you. I’m a fellow type 3c, but with a different experience of care/support lol.

Milli27

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It does sound like you have a good team looking after you! Glad it’s all going well for you. I’m a fellow type 3c, but with a different experience of care/support lol.
I hope your experience improves. It did take me 18 months of having to push, do my own research and deal with some harsh remarks/big barriers. But yes, I am very lucky to have now found such a good team. I know this is not always the case for people despite them putting in all the effort. It makes me sad reading some of the experiences. Good luck.

Reactions: Garek