Diagnosed Type1 3mths ago

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All, I got my diagnosis on the 23rd November 2017. My reading were in the high 20's but now I've now got reading of around 6s and 7s I've had to odd 5s. I've already had 3 hypos that I was aware of but woken up a few time dripping wet and have read this is also a symptom of an hypo
I'm trying to eat a low carb diet but find I'm always hungry as I'm an active person bootcamp 3x a week and try to fit in at least 2 runs where I can.
Also any suggestions on fueling runs would be appreciated I'm signed up for a half marathon in September so also working on building up my milage I've been struggling since being diagnosed.
I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on low carb heathly snacks also fueling runs without hypo.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Georgiee. Welcome to the forum.
We all control diabetes in our own ways. If you're low carbing but feeling hungry all the time then that isn't the way to live. You need to be comfortable and happy in what you're doing. It sounds like you are very active and that is excellent, don't lose that enthusiasm and commitment for what you enjoy because your diet isn't quite right.
I've tried low carb on occasion, under 100g daily, I also use the gym 6 days a week. It simply didn't work for me. Lack of useable energy resources and constant need to fuel up.
One size doesn't fit all with diabetes. You're still new to all this diabetes stuff and there is a lot to learn.
I'll tag @catapillar who I'm sure will be able to give some good advice regarding the running and diet.
Good luck.

Reactions: Georgiee

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no requirement for a type 1 diabetic to low carb. Type 1 diabetes isn't managed by diet, it's managed by insulin and matching the insulin to the carbs you eat. If you're hungry and lacking energy on a low carb diet that sounds like low carb isn't for you.

I try to run first thing in the morning, with no active insulin on board and following an unbolused for breakfast with peanut butter, which I know causes quite a long rise in my blood sugar. But you might want to consider unbolused for carbs, some nice long lasting complex carbs to keep you bumped up for the half, but not spike you too high before you start.

Www.runsweet.com is a good site with time on exercise and type 1, worth checking out.

Reactions: Georgiee

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your responses they are much appreciated links I shall look at them later.
At the moment I'm on Lavimair 6 units in the morning and 8 at night. I have Novoraid too but was told only to use this if my bloods are over 15 which they've not been for some time.
I do eat some carbs but mainly on bootcamp days when the sessions are in the evening which I find does help (which is what I used to do before being diagnosed) never really been a big carb eater but looks like I've got some adjusting to do.
Thanks again guys
Georgiee