Diagnosed with fluid behind the eye

katpaul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was referred to hospital by my optician and today they have confirmed fluid behind the eye. I go back next Monday to a different hospital for maybe more tests and/or start of treatment.

The consultent has recommended injections into the eye rather than laser treatment and understand that this is a newer treatment and only cleared to go in 2013.

Has anyone had either treatment and was it successful?

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had about 12 or so laser treatments and because they did not work eventually I had a vitrectomy. I am green eyed and because of this it was extremely painful as people with green eyes and blue eyes scatter and transmit more unwanted light into the retina. The lighter your eye color the more uncomfortable it is . You also will have to keep your eyes open while a very bright light is in your eye . The laser is bearable but after 12 sessions it was enough and went in for the victrectomy . I am not sure if that is what you talk about with injections?

katpaul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had about 12 or so laser treatments and because they did not work eventually I had a vitrectomy. I am green eyed and because of this it was extremely painful as people with green eyes and blue eyes scatter and transmit more unwanted light into the retina. The lighter your eye color the more uncomfortable it is . You also will have to keep your eyes open while a very bright light is in your eye . The laser is bearable but after 12 sessions it was enough and went in for the victrectomy . I am not sure if that is what you talk about with injections?

Thanks for your reply.

Seem to be getting a quote when replying, so dont know if I am doing this right.

No I dont think thats the name of the treatment and I am blue eyed!

This is a fairly new treatment apparently only approved in 2013, cost problems! £1000 an injection and believe it is painless as will be numbed up.

Apparently unlike laser treatment this can reverse the danage and doesnt cause blind spots. I had the choice of this or laser treatment and asked the consultant what his recommendation was and he said if it was him he would chose this.

Will try and find the article

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply.

Seem to be getting a quote when replying, so dont know if I am doing this right.

No I dont think thats the name of the treatment and I am blue eyed!

This is a fairly new treatment apparently only approved in 2013, cost problems! £1000 an injection and believe it is painless as will be numbed up.

Apparently unlike laser treatment this can reverse the danage and doesnt cause blind spots. I had the choice of this or laser treatment and asked the consultant what his recommendation was and he said if it was him he would chose this.

Will try and find the article

I actually am thinking that you are talking about the Intravitreal injections. They use to be used for macular degeneration and after a while noticed that is also helps retinopathy. If you do consider the laser I would ask about the pain factor and eye color. Mine was actually in my central vision as well. The peripheral laser was not as bad . The pain is not terrible but I will say going in I had no idea what to expect as everyone around me said it was no biggie. I was surprised that it was a bit painful for me, as well as not being able to move and having a bright light in your eye and being told not to blink. Just not fun, I was told it was my eye color ? I can understand the cost factor :/ that is always a hard hit but the fact that the consultant would do that himself would definitely make me more inclined to do it .

katpaul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I actually am thinking that you are talking about the Intravitreal injections. They use to be used for macular degeneration and after a while noticed that is also helps retinopathy. If you do consider the laser I would ask about the pain factor and eye color. Mine was actually in my central vision as well. The peripheral laser was not as bad . The pain is not terrible but I will say going in I had no idea what to expect as everyone around me said it was no biggie. I was surprised that it was a bit painful for me, as well as not being able to move and having a bright light in your eye and being told not to blink. Just not fun, I was told it was my eye color ? I can understand the cost factor :/ that is always a hard hit but the fact that the consultant would do that himself would definitely make me more inclined to do it .

I have just received the info from the hospital and I have DMO (diabetic macular oedema) and will be treated by Lucentis (ranibizumab) injections. This treatment was only approved by our NHS in 2013 due to the cost, we have free NHS here.....saw you are in USA.

My consultent thinks this is far better than laser treatment and is an ongoing treatment. I have been sent a dvd but will look at it tonight.

the booklet says injection is painless and have read that it may just feel like slight pressure, due to the anesthetic.

quote from booklet.............for almost all patients, vision at least stays the same and for many it gets better. ...........some patients notice a difference in their vision in as early as one week etc etc.

I will have to look up Intravitreal injections and only know that this treatment is injected through the white part of eye into the jelly at back of eye. Am quite scared to be honest .

Will ask about pain.

Tried to find article I first saw without success!

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just received the info from the hospital and I have DMO (diabetic macular oedema) and will be treated by Lucentis (ranibizumab) injections. This treatment was only approved by our NHS in 2013 due to the cost, we have free NHS here.....saw you are in USA.

My consultent thinks this is far better than laser treatment and is an ongoing treatment. I have been sent a dvd but will look at it tonight.

the booklet says injection is painless and have read that it may just feel like slight pressure, due to the anesthetic.

quote from booklet.............for almost all patients, vision at least stays the same and for many it gets better. ...........some patients notice a difference in their vision in as early as one week etc etc.

I will have to look up Intravitreal injections and only know that this treatment is injected through the white part of eye into the jelly at back of eye. Am quite scared to be honest .

Will ask about pain.

I can relate to the being scared . I think just the idea of anything being stuck into your eye is very scary . I can say that during the vitrectomy I felt no pain just pressure. I also was scared that I would actually have to see them inject and cut and that did not happen. The unknowing part is very scary . I can so relate .

Reactions: 3 people

katpaul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can relate to the being scared . I think just the idea of anything being stuck into your eye is very scary . I can say that during the vitrectomy I felt no pain just pressure. I also was scared that I would actually have to see them inject and cut and that did not happen. The unknowing part is very scary . I can so relate .
Thank you and as this is going to be an ongoing thing as far as I can tell hope thats the worst for me

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have done a blog about my experience with Lucent is injections. Took part in trials for 18 months from 2011. They can improve and stop deterioration .Now had over 50 injections and managing to keep my driving licence because of them. Good luck.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Will ask about pain.

Hi @katpaul

You are quite right about your situation - I was diagnosed with slight DMO last month in my right eye and am currently using an eye drop to lower the pressure.

The intravitreal injection is a new therapy - and this site has some useful info about it (search from the home page), but it will be done using an anaesthetic on the eye first before the injection is given. (Whether that will be local or general I don't know.)

I truly feel for you (and @Anaelena ) because having had copious lasers to both eyes, a vitrectomy to the right and now the edema, I got to feel absolutely terrified and fed up. (HUGE understatement)

The thing you both have to realise (and it took me a lot of soul searching) is that only by getting your Blood Glucose levels under control so that a years worth of test results on a graph looks like a gentle sea swell with a low HbA1c then any treatment is only short-term.

I don't mean to sound doom and gloom, but that is the hard and cold fact of our lives as people with diabetes. As a result of the aforementioned, I began changing my lifestyle - and in particular, my diet.

I'm not yet an evangelical Low-carber, but I cannot vouch enough for the tremendously, life enhancng and health improving effect this work has had on me: my left eye has been stable for over a year with no treatment needed; the DMO in the right eye is most likely the effect of the vitrectomy (there's a much higher likelihood of developing DMO once you have had one).

Check out the RNIB website (you can view it from the USA too @Anaelena ) because it has some excellent advice about foods that are good for your eyes ... as well as your general health.

www.rnib.org.uk/

Reactions: 2 people

astralworld

Was referred to hospital by my optician and today they have confirmed fluid behind the eye. I go back next Monday to a different hospital for maybe more tests and/or start of treatment.

The consultent has recommended injections into the eye rather than laser treatment and understand that this is a newer treatment and only cleared to go in 2013.

Has anyone had either treatment and was it successful?

My partner has already lost the sight in his left eye as he had a retinal vein occlusion but the consultant at the general hospital he attended did not refer him for this treatment and basically inferred that there was nothing to be done. However when he started to get the same problem with his right eye he attended a private hospital in Spain, and, at huge cost, started laser and injection treatment which alleviated the progress of the disease. We then found that the newer injections were available in the UK and he has has now had both laser treatment and a 6 month course of injections at Moorfields in London. This has had some success in as much that his sight has not deteriorated any further and he now has to go back for 3 monthly check ups.

He tells me that the injections don't actually hurt at the time due to the anaesthetic drops they put in first, but I know that for about 24 hours afterwards his eye is very uncomfortable. Once this clears up, he usually notices a slight improvement in vision when compared to before the treatment. As he only has about 50% vision left in his "good" eye we have been very happy that, although they can't improve his sight, as the damage is permanent, they have, at least stopped it from getting any worse.

Since your condition seems to have been diagnosed in the earlier stages, i would recommend these injections wholeheartedly despite the relatively minor discomfort involved. Yes, it's scary to have a needle put in your eye, but hugely preferable to permanently losing your sight.

I hope this treatment works well for you.

Reactions: 5 people

katpaul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much all for your helpful and optimistic replies.

I know my right eyed is more advanced but the left is starting apparently so both eyes need treating.

I am also being referred to the diabetic doctor at the hospital but dont have the appt yet.

Am so grateful to you all.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @katpaul

You are quite right about your situation - I was diagnosed with slight DMO last month in my right eye and am currently using an eye drop to lower the pressure.

The intravitreal injection is a new therapy - and this site has some useful info about it (search from the home page), but it will be done using an anaesthetic on the eye first before the injection is given. (Whether that will be local or general I don't know.)

I truly feel for you (and @Anaelena ) because having had copious lasers to both eyes, a vitrectomy to the right and now the edema, I got to feel absolutely terrified and fed up. (HUGE understatement)

The thing you both have to realise (and it took me a lot of soul searching) is that only by getting your Blood Glucose levels under control so that a years worth of test results on a graph looks like a gentle sea swell with a low HbA1c then any treatment is only short-term.

I don't mean to sound doom and gloom, but that is the hard and cold fact of our lives as people with diabetes. As a result of the aforementioned, I began changing my lifestyle - and in particular, my diet.

I'm not yet an evangelical Low-carber, but I cannot vouch enough for the tremendously, life enhancng and health improving effect this work has had on me: my left eye has been stable for over a year with no treatment needed; the DMO in the right eye is most likely the effect of the vitrectomy (there's a much higher likelihood of developing DMO once you have had one).

Check out the RNIB website (you can view it from the USA too @Anaelena ) because it has some excellent advice about foods that are good for your eyes ... as well as your general health.

www.rnib.org.uk/

Of course we can never over emphasize how important glucose control is. My hemorrhage was actually very unexpected and surprising to all of us I had very little retinopathy. I actually woke up one morning without sight. I had a hemorrhage that the believe was due to childbirth the previous year before. Diabetes and pregnancy can do a real number on your eyes. It is a well known risk. I also really have no real diet options as I am on mostly liquids now due to Gastroparesis. I do follow my plan as best as possible. I am so glad you found a lifestyle that is working for you and that you have prevented any further damage . My best to you and thank you !

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Of course we can never over emphasize how important glucose control is. My hemorrhage was actually very unexpected and surprising to all of us I had very little retinopathy. I actually woke up one morning without sight. I had a hemorrhage that the believe was due to childbirth the previous year before. Diabetes and pregnancy can do a real number on your eyes. It is a well known risk. I also really have no real diet options as I am on mostly liquids now due to Gastroparesis. I do follow my plan as best as possible. I am so glad you found a lifestyle that is working for you and that you have prevented any further damage . My best to you and thank you !

I'm sorry to hear about the gastroparesis; are you following Berstein's diet or something else?

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry to hear about the gastroparesis; are you following Berstein's diet or something else?

I actually am pretty much on shakes now. I don't have much of an appetite and if you vomit like I do it is much easier that way ( sorry if that is TMI) I think Berstein's advocates high fat , low carb ? Not to familiar with it.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I actually am pretty much on shakes now. I don't have much of an appetite and if you vomit like I do it is much easier that way ( sorry if that is TMI) I think Berstein's advocates high fat , low carb ? Not to familiar with it.

Holy cow.

I've not yet read Berstein's Diabetes diet book, but his first one ( -Diabetes Solution) does discuss gastroparesis and his 'formula' for "normalising blood sugars" with such complications.

If you have a kindle or the app on your smartphone I really recommend it as an excellent starting point... it's done me a massive service, as are two books by Ginger Vieira and this forum of course!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh, and I send you a HUGE Olaf (warm hug).