diagnosis of eating disorder because I'm type 1 and follow low carb diet?

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@michita Just out of curiosity: what kind of low carb diet are you following? What is the daily carb and calorie intake?
Yesterday, for example I've eaten 130 g of carbs.
Breakfast was Yoghurt, plums and a peach; lunch was salad with tuna, olives and carrots, and some slices of mortadella; dinner was a salad with tomatoes and canned artichokes, grilled cheese and aubergines with green beans and again plums and peach.

It's clearly not Atkins and sometimes I eat some bread - yesterday I hadn't time to buy it, in case it's typically a 100 g fresh wholegrain bun. that are 40 g more carbs, but normally I eat less fruit

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MikeTurin :)

Maybe around 1800 calories and 30-40g carbs a day. no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and no fruits, no sugar.

My weekday meal example:

Breakfast at work - home made brownie 1 piece (made with 100% cacao, almond flour and stevia sugar substitute) with coffee with alpro unsweetened soya milk (no insulin)

Lunch - grilled salmon, stir fried vegetables (courgettes, aubergines mushrooms etc), boiled egg.

Before dinner 1 more brownie before gym

Dinner - big Tofu salad, boiled broccoli, 1 small tomato, 1 avocado, olives. On weekends I tend to cook steak or chicken for dinner (I have more time). If I think I'm losing weight I add cheese, mayonnaise etc.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Michita - My view on the dietary disclosure thing is if we all go around hiding how we do things, we aren't being helpful to anyone.

If I am going to be discussing I think will be tricky (for me it has been lipids, rather than blood glucose or medication issues), I usually ensure I take links to my research with me, so that I can refer to them during the conversation, and leave them, with the Doc. I think that helped my Doc to understand I was doing my own research, and making informed decisions.

Doing that has really helped me build a really positive, and mutually respectful relationship with my Doctor. I'm happy to say her views on lipids and their breakdown has completely changed and our relationship is now more collaboratively based.

It would be so good if you could find the same, but clearly you have to do what you feel suits you best.

Just to reiterate; I'm not T1 and have never used insulin.

Hi DCUKMod, thank u for this advice. It's good to know you made this effort to obtain consultant's understanding and it worked. If I decide to speak to them I will definitely do the same !

Last edited:

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@michita Ive never had my consultant ask me what I eat or how many carbs I have (apart from very soon after diagnosis when I was on fixed doses). She tends to look at my results - blood tests, eyes, weight, etc etc, and that's what we talk about.

From what you've said - about you wanting insulin but not being given it- I can see why you had to discuss diet then, but if your results are OK and your weights ok, then you might find its not even mentioned.

However, if the consultant does bring up your hospital admission, I'd take the opportunity to push for answers as to what was behind that.

Hi @azure

You are right my new consultant doesn't ask me about my diet. He thinks my good control is entirely due to me being in honeymoon period. This I'm quite certain not the main reason for my good control. I'll take my time to decide if I bring the subject up or keep quiet...

I know you don't advocate low carb diet but you still respond to help me with kind words. Thank u :)

Reactions: azure

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @michita

I decided to go low carb after a bad hypo - at the time, my consultant was very supportive of anything I did that helped me get over this - although she was (righty) concerned that I was doing it more out of anxiety at the time. Now, over a year later, I've also had much opportunity to reflect on things, and a low carb diet really does make more sense for an insulin dependent diabetic, for a number of reasons. I think my consultant does understand this - I do get the feeling that she thinks a little extra carb would be best - but I'm very lucky to have my consultant, as she is extremely supportive.

Your anxiety about discussing your low carb diet with your doctors, is quite reasonable given how you've been treated previously - but the doctors are there to help you, not the other way around. It's important that you tell your new doctor how angry you are at the way you've been treated in the past. I can't see why your driving licence is at risk - certainly not just because you're low carb!

Thank you @Odin004

I'm very happy that you have a nice supportive consultant :) . I share your view on low carb diet and your comments suggesting me to be open with doctors are, quite inspiring. I just saw my consultant and not due to see them for a while but I will consider what you and others said and I'll decide.

Thank you very much for all your comments :)

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Odin004

I'm very happy that you have a nice supportive consultant :) . I share your view on low carb diet and your comments suggesting me to be open with doctors are, quite inspiring. I just saw my consultant and not due to see them for a while but I will consider what you and others said and I'll decide.

Thank you very much for all your comments :)

My pleasure!x