1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

diagnosis of eating disorder because I'm type 1 and follow low carb diet?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by michita, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@michita Just out of curiosity: what kind of low carb diet are you following? What is the daily carb and calorie intake?
    Yesterday, for example I've eaten 130 g of carbs.
    Breakfast was Yoghurt, plums and a peach; lunch was salad with tuna, olives and carrots, and some slices of mortadella; dinner was a salad with tomatoes and canned artichokes, grilled cheese and aubergines with green beans and again plums and peach.

It's clearly not Atkins and sometimes I eat some bread - yesterday I hadn't time to buy it, in case it's typically a 100 g fresh wholegrain bun. that are 40 g more carbs, but normally I eat less fruit

2. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @MikeTurin :)

Maybe around 1800 calories and 30-40g carbs a day. no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and no fruits, no sugar.

My weekday meal example:

Breakfast at work - home made brownie 1 piece (made with 100% cacao, almond flour and stevia sugar substitute) with coffee with alpro unsweetened soya milk (no insulin)

Lunch - grilled salmon, stir fried vegetables (courgettes, aubergines mushrooms etc), boiled egg.

Before dinner 1 more brownie before gym

Dinner - big Tofu salad, boiled broccoli, 1 small tomato, 1 avocado, olives. On weekends I tend to cook steak or chicken for dinner (I have more time). If I think I'm losing weight I add cheese, mayonnaise etc.

3. michita

Hi DCUKMod, thank u for this advice. It's good to know you made this effort to obtain consultant's understanding and it worked. If I decide to speak to them I will definitely do the same !

#63 michita, Jul 26, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  4. michita

Hi @azure

You are right my new consultant doesn't ask me about my diet. He thinks my good control is entirely due to me being in honeymoon period. This I'm quite certain not the main reason for my good control. I'll take my time to decide if I bring the subject up or keep quiet...

I know you don't advocate low carb diet but you still respond to help me with kind words. Thank u :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. michita

Thank you @Odin004

I'm very happy that you have a nice supportive consultant :) . I share your view on low carb diet and your comments suggesting me to be open with doctors are, quite inspiring. I just saw my consultant and not due to see them for a while but I will consider what you and others said and I'll decide.

Thank you very much for all your comments :)

6. Odin004

Odin004 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My pleasure!x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook