Did any of you type 1s have a virus before you got diabetes?

Spatta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fake people
Re: Did any of you type 1s have a virus before you got diabe

I had all the symptoms of diabetes, had several seizures, but i'm also epileptic, they said i was having epileptic fits but i can remember them clear as day, where as when i have had an epileptic fit i remember nothing... So they was diabetic fits... This was happenin for about a month, i even got tested at the hosp a week before being diagnosed an was given the all clear... Had another fit an took to a diff hosp to be told i was type1 diabetic!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people

I was diagnosed as a Type 3 diabetic (managed as a Type 1) after having a nasty case of pancreatitis. My family has a weakness in the pancreas. My mother died from pancreatic cancer some years ago.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I caught a virus from my dad's chickens when i was 2, its highly infectious but cant rem what its called. 6 months later i was at deaths' door with t1

lexilox

I also got a virus a few weeks prior to diagnosis. I was ten years old but still remember the virus, diagnosed about a month after that.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I had bacterial meningitis around a year before I was diagnosed . doctor has suggested it my be related

Andi Pandi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic

I had a baby and heart failure - not quite a virus.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking

'girlfriend': stress - plus stress-induced sugar-binge (one large bag of wine gums).

Result 10 days later: type 1 diagnosis.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I had a kidney infection which I remembered as being a few weeks before diagnosis of Type 1 (aged 12) but speaking to my mother about it recently found out it was 3 months before. Also started secondary school around this time which I found very stressful (I was the 'shy and retiring' type!). I've always suspected a causal link but doctors say maybe yes, maybe no. There is no history of diabetes in my family but my father's nephew deloped type one also. With regard to your swollen ankles, I was in hospital with a woman who han been admitted with tremendously swollen joints. The skin was stretched so tight it looked like it would split. She was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder where her immune system was attacking her joints. Doctors had no idea why. They treated her with steroids which started to work quite quickly and one day they missed an injection which she had to wait on for a few hours by which time all her joints had swollen alarmingly again. Might not be the same as yours but it made me think of her straight away

Lizdeluz12

I did have a virus prior to diagnosis as Type 1 nearly 28 years ago, (aged 31). No other type 1 (or 2) in my family. Came out of the blue. Who knows, though? ... If I'd known more about diabetes when I was living my life at that time, perhaps I'd have picked up some danger signals.

It was a stressful time. :roll:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

I was in contact with Swine Flu and developed a bad chest infection which would not clear up for over two years, before being diagnosed. I was exhausted, had pains in my lung and could feel where the problem was but apparently, no stethoscope could hear anything despite blood tests showing I had a 'low level inflammation' somewhere. I was then diagnosed with diabetes, then I developed pneumonia/fluid on lungs, was given a dose of decent antibiotics (thought the end was nigh) and that was that.

I do wish some nurses would consider that their own ears may not be up to scratch when listening to our chests and get a second opinion. :roll:

dominykas

Yep, I had a very bad tonsillitis around two weeks before I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Also, my grandfather has type 2.

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Wow this is amazing reading! Diagnosed at 10 after really bad flu like symptoms! Seams quite off that a lot of people had the same thing!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

I wasn't aware that diabetes can be caused by a virus until I met a lady at the swimming baths whose young granddaughter had just been diagnosed with T1 - the doctors told her it was triggered by a recent virus she'd had.

I didn't have a virus, but I did have a very shocking and sudden death in the family which knocked me for six...a week after hearing the news and the day before the funeral, I was diagnosed with type 1.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

I didn't have a virus, but I did have a very shocking and sudden death in the family which knocked me for six...a week after hearing the news and the day before the funeral, I was diagnosed with type 1.

I'm very sorry for your loss lcheeseright and I can totally understand how shock could trigger illness. I think shock is a very underestimated state of being, I don't think enough is known about it's physiological effects on the body and nor is enough know about the length of time and the depth a person can be in shock for. I wish you well.

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!

I was too young to remember, 1975, but my brother, 3 years older, got it 2 months after I did. Apparently there was a large rise in cases of Juvenile diabetes in the summer of 1975 and they say it was because of a virus