Did I have diabetes a year before I was diagnosed?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just thought of this, this morning, but I remembered a year before I was diagnosed with type one diabetes I lost so much weight without having to diet or exercise. I lost 10lb in a matter of days, I was also drinking family size bottles of fizzy and filling them up with squash and drinking them within 5 minutes.

I just want to know if it’s possible to of had diabetes a year before I was diagnosed. I lost the weight in 2015 and was diagnosed in April 2016.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that’s very possible. For me who is diagnosed at a much older age than you .., I suspect I had it since at least 7 years prior to the diagnosis.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was like a bag of bones about 9 months before I was diagnosed, I looked gaunt and ill where I'd lost so much weight. Based on my own experience I'd say it's very likely you could have been diabetic at that point and not known.
I was 9 when I was diagnosed, I don't know if that makes any difference :nailbiting:

Reactions: michita

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 43 when I was diagnosed and I'd been to see GP 9 months earlier with arthritis type sptoms and feeling exhausted.

Given how high my hba1c was when I was finally diagnosed I think a simple finger prick test on that first GP appointment would have shown me already diabetic.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed at 39 and pretty sure I'd had diabetes for at least 2 years before diagnosis, judging from the recurrent thrush which has never been back since I started insulin and seeing reasonable numbers.