Did the clocks change affect your dawn phenomenon?

alaska

When the clocks went forwards, did you notice any change in your dawn phenomenon?

I think my dawn phenomenon has come earlier since the recent clocks change.

So, through Jan, Feb, most of March, dawn phenomenon hadn't been a big issue as I was waking just before a big rise had occurred.

Now the clocks have gone forwards, it's like I'm waking up an hour behind and so I'm waking up with an already too high result.

What have other people noticed?

I'm also interested to hear if people have noticed no change or even if the clocks change has made dawn phenomenon easier.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
WOW !! what a spooky thread -- this is exactly what I have experienced this past week and have been putting it down to every other event under the sun ( just returned from long haul travel , thyroid issues , change in temperatures ( getting a bit warmer ) )

I am on a pump so will look at further basal testing and adjusting my settings to compensate !!

great heads up !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Snapsy and Jamesuk9

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have noticed ever so slightly the opposite but have made some changes to my evening meal.

But wow!! Great thing to consider!!

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
When the clocks went forwards, did you notice any change in your dawn phenomenon?

What have other people noticed?

I'm also interested to hear if people have noticed no change or even if the clocks change has made dawn phenomenon easier.

Big changes with me - everything gets screwed up - eating times - injection times - sleeping times or lack of sleep - looking over my BG readings over the years and correlating them with the time changes - I tend to have poor control of my BG levels for two weeks thereafter and then things seem to settle down again. It's a real pain and I suspect anyone who has a condition that is treated with medication and lifestyle likely struggle. Wish they would get rid of time changes. Statistically it already suggests that it's hard on people- ie increase of heart attacks, traffic accidents etc

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have never thought about that but then I rarely test when I get up. I do not worry about dawn phenomenon because I think BG regulates itself when we start the normal days activity.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good point - so far I've been fine but hmmmm, might just have a closer look. Thanks for the heads-up, @alaska !

@himtoo I'm just LOVING your Elvises! Or should that be 'Elvii'?

:)

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good point - so far I've been fine but hmmmm, might just have a closer look. Thanks for the heads-up, @alaska !

@himtoo I'm just LOVING your Elvises! Or should that be 'Elvii'?

:)
Un - Huh ( spoken like elvis !! )

the 3 of them( elvis impersonators ) actually said to my wife
we need a picture with this hound dog -- LOL

this was on "the strip" in Vegas about 3 weeks ago and it was 37 degrees -- LOL

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Weird thing is i slept an extra hour and a half this morning and woke up a bunch higher than normal. Crazy. I can see where the time change can make a difference. I always thought the later I get up the higher my fasting was.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WOW !! what a spooky thread -- this is exactly what I have experienced this past week and have been putting it down to every other event under the sun ( just returned from long haul travel , thyroid issues , change in temperatures ( getting a bit warmer ) )

I am on a pump so will look at further basal testing and adjusting my settings to compensate !!

great heads up !!!!!!!!!
Hi Himtoo this may be a very silly question regarding further basal testing when pumping to account for BST. Very new to pumping as just started today but was wondering if rather than doing further basal tests the current basal profile could not just be duplicated but the start time of basal changes be programed an HR in advance therefore having 2 basal profiles which could be switched when BST starts and ends. Don't know if this would work? Like I say just got a pump today and have much to learn

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Himtoo this may be a very silly question regarding further basal testing when pumping to account for BST. Very new to pumping as just started today but was wondering if rather than doing further basal tests the current basal profile could not just be duplicated but the start time of basal changes be programed an HR in advance therefore having 2 basal profiles which could be switched when BST starts and ends. Don't know if this would work? Like I say just got a pump today and have much to learn
Hi @Postleneo
I did exactly that to start with -- set up a new basal program and shifted every rate by 1 hour forward.

but it did not have the desired effect , as I started going high in the early hours of the morning ( between 3am and 6am )

after some testing the last few days I seem to be back to my normal
went to bed 4.4 last night and awoke on a 4.1

Diabetes always gives us something to think about !!

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Alaska,
Thank you for this post! I totally did not make the connection with the clocks going forward.