Diebetic retinopathy

Becks33

Hi guys,

I have been diagnosed with bliteral diabetic retinopathy and ever since I’ve had laser treatment my left eye has absolutely no definition in it and is very blurry all the time and I’m worried has anyone else been though this? Is there a way out will I be able to see again??? I’m so scared and worried and the doctors never seem to give me a straight answer :(:(:( I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel .... I try to keep my blood sugars in control rang but is certainly unvoidablr sometimes :(

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Becks33 , I'll tag @Dark Horse for you, as he's very clued up on eye stuff and may have some pointers for you. DH, any views?

Other than that, I'd press your consultant to prescribe libre for you - being able to see how bg is moving around in real time makes a huge difference in being able to "steer" it to keep it in range, and being in range gives us much better odds on letting the body repair complications.

Becks33

Hi, @Becks33 , I'll tag @Dark Horse for you, as he's very clued up on eye stuff and may have some pointers for you. DH, any views?

Other than that, I'd press your consultant to prescribe libre for you - being able to see how bg is moving around in real time makes a huge difference in being able to "steer" it to keep it in range, and being in range gives us much better odds on letting the body repair complications.

Hello :)

Thank you so much for your reply:) hopefully can help me with the whole eye situation... I have asked my team for one and the pump and they think it won’t help me :/

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have asked my team for one and the pump and they think it won’t help me :/

Och, that's a shame, Becks, getting a pump can be a hard gig - lots of conditions to meet - but libre might be easier if you ask them often enough.

Have a look at Stephen Ponder's book Sugar Surfing, lots of tips on how to use cgm well to reduce a1c, and then tell the team you're getting your act together and positively want to keep in range to help your eyes. It varies around the country - some areas really love getting their patients on libre, some don't.

Here's a few pics from docs in my area showing how much they love it, wave that at them and ask why they are so reluctant. I was at a seminar yesterday where the docs were saying that patients making a noise about getting this stuff did make a difference. Many areas still don't have a clue about how useful libre is, so we as patients can play a part in shoving it in their faces!

Good luck!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sugar-Surfing-manage-diabetes-modern-ebook/dp/B017EIX9HG

Screenshot_2018-09-05-10-41-00.png

Screenshot_2018-11-09-14-58-22.png

DrluM98U8AAKZ62.jpeg

Dark Horse

Hi guys,

I have been diagnosed with bliteral diabetic retinopathy and ever since I’ve had laser treatment my left eye has absolutely no definition in it and is very blurry all the time and I’m worried has anyone else been though this? Is there a way out will I be able to see again??? I’m so scared and worried and the doctors never seem to give me a straight answer :(:(:( I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel .... I try to keep my blood sugars in control rang but is certainly unvoidablr sometimes :(
How long is it since you had your laser treatment? Sometimes macular oedema develops/gets worse after PRP laser but is just temporary, although it may need treatment. https://www.whittington.nhs.uk/document.ashx?id=818

Unfortunately, sometimes vision is permanently affected after laser. Your doctors may not be giving you a 'straight answer' because they are hoping the vision will improve but can't be certain. In the meantime, if you work at keeping good control of blood glucose and blood pressure, you will be giving your eyes the best chance of recovery.

Becks33

Hi

I had laser surgery again 2 weeks ago under general anaesthetic and my left eye is completely blurry no definition at all - my right eye is fine! I’m scared I might have macula oedema now but thank you for the link and your advice x

M

Member496333

Sounds almost identical to my experience. I had bilateral laser for retinopathy, and one eye reacted badly, with a quite severe macular oedema. Vision in that eye was totally ruined. It was like looking through greasy clingfilm. Anti-VEGF cleared it up.