Diet advice!

'V'

Hello
I'm also a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic, and am taking Metformin 500mg 3 times a day. I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how you are controlling your diabetes with diet. I'm vegetarian, and Indian, so I generally cook vegetable curries.

saz1

Hi and welcome!

You have some options, many people here are devoted low(ish) carbohydrate eaters and have ditched rice, pasta, potatoes and bread orreplaced them with low carb alternatives. This option may be a bit extreme for you since it means that root vegetables like parsnips, carrots, pepeers etc are also counted. Root vegetables contain proportionally larger amounts of carbohydrates than say salads and cabbage for example.

Other way you may want to try at first is to go low gi (glycaemic index) diet. It means you still carry on eating carbohydrates but swap white rice to brown, have no white bread, white pasta etc refined carbohydrates.

It depends a lot on your own body and physiology. Some people find they may be ok with rice but hacve high blood sugar spikes with bread or pasta. If you are lucky enough to get a meter and strips on prescription you can test how you react todifferent foods. I would suggest smaller changes at first just to get you going and in time you can decide what you want to do with your eating plan. This diagnosis is for the long run and there is no escaping from it but it doesn't have to be negative thing forever! Small changes will get you far and often things may seem worse in the beginning!

Good luck! :wink: