Diet and exercise

pippa01

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am newly diagnosed got diagnosed at my 40 health check.
I have been working on gettinb the hb1ac down by diet and exercise
The issue I have is I have tried metformin and dapagliflozen. I got bad side effects with both and can’t tolerate them. Anyone else had similar and a diff tablet worked. My hb1ac was 79 now 52. Not sure I will
Need tablets but if I do I’m wondering what may be best to try ?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The issue I have is I have tried metformin and dapagliflozen. I got bad side effects with both and can’t tolerate them. Anyone else had similar and a diff tablet worked. My hb1ac was 79 now 52. Not sure I will
Hello and welcome @pippa01.
Can’t recommend meds, as I have only ever had Metformin. Well done on the reduction in your HbA1c . If you have done that by diet and exercise, then it could be that you will be able to manage to reduce further by the same method, without meds.

What are you eating? Lots of our members have reduced and maintained their better blood glucose levels by eating the low carb way.

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @pippa01 - well done on getting your A1c down. That's a big improvement.

There are other medications. And your doctor should discuss with you if they are needed. Depending on the side effects you had there is also a slow-release Metformin that some people tolerate better.

But you seem you may be well on your way to controlling it either way!

Reactions: Paul_ and Pipp

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've already made a big dent in that HbA1c, nearing prediabetic levels.... If you keep that up (or rather, headed down), you wouldn't need medication. If that's not possible for some reason, then there's still other stuff to try, but your results so far look promising.

You're doing an excellent job!
Jo

• Agree
Reactions: VashtiB and Paul_