Diet switch from low carb to low GI

Feebiecat

Hi

I have been low carbing since dx last October but have now decided to switch to low GI instead. This is because I like the odd carb at the weekend but have found that body does not really agree with me trying to combine the two! I feel I am starting over every Monday so have decided to include a bit of carbs everyday to see if that helps.
I previously lost 5 stone doing low GI so is obvious my body like that way of eating for weight loss.

I do have a question though if anyone can help...I seem to be weeing a lot today! I ate a few carbs over the weekend but this morning is my first proper day low GI. I've ate nothing I can think of that would make me like this. Not sure if sugar-related or just I need a lot of wees!

Has anyone had this happen to them before and know if this will settle down by itself? I take Metformin (4 a day), drink loads of water and exercise almost everyday. I don't test so wondering whether to leave it a few days or switch back to low carb (which I don't really want to do).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
x

C

catherinecherub

Hi Feebiecat,
It is very difficult to say what the problem is.
I think you need to do some testing because relying on your HBA1c makes management very difficult. If you buy a cheap monitor from somewhere like Asda then you will have a few strips, (maybe 10) to help you. I have seen offers there for £4 for a monitor.
Are you portion controlling the GI foods that you are eating? Some may spike you and will have to be reduced even further or eliminated from your diet altogether. Some diabetics can eat a small portion of potatoes, I cannot, I can eat bread, they cannot. You really have to test and see what spikes you.
It is interesting that you low carbed without testing. Low carbers are different in their response to some foods as well. You may have been having spikes then and not known about it.

Hope this helps.

Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Feebicat
If it works go with it!
Hana
PS
I had a bit of a "Wee every 5 minutes" thing a couple of weeks ago Saw the doctor because I wasn't getting enough sleep. He asked for a urine sample. turned out to be a UTI
A week on antibiotics sorted it out.
Go see your GP

FordPrefect

I think GI is a great methology but you really need to test for yourself. According to GI for example basmati rice shouldnt be too bad at all but I find it makes my levels go up thru the roof even worse than white bread. On the other hand potatoes are allegidly omg really bad but I can tolerate these quite well even baked potatoes. Best thing to do is to try your own readings as GI is based on averages from other people's blood sugar levels not your own specific levels. Generally oats seem to be well tolerated but a few even report issues with them. Dont forget that you might need to adjust your portion sizes accodingly I know most have great platefuls of pasta you might need to have less pasta with your bolognaise but try adding some salad onto the side