Dietician/Nurse say not to low carb

chocoholic

It has made my day to see Fergus back here on the forum. Low-carb thoughts aside for one moment, Fergus never failed to be both supportive and helpful to so many members on the forum,whatever their queries. His many years experience of being a Type 1, puts him in an excellent position to advise on all sorts of things that us 'newer' Type 1's might be struggling with.
I, personally, am now settling into a happier place of dealing with basal/bolus and much of that is down to good, solid advice from Fergus, be that dietary advice or insulin advice.
Welcome back, Fergus!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Fergus,

You've got to borrow Katharine's excellent explanation of ketosis/ketoacidosis and
crowbar it into your low-carb for newbies guide. It'll be the icing on the cake, if you'll
pardon the expression. :D

Regards,
timo.

Katharine said:
The nurse and dietician are just rolling out the old dietary ketosis is the same as diabetic ketoacidosis. This is a myth. You get dietary ketosis when there is a relative lack of carb in the diet and you get diabetic ketoacidosis when you have a relative lack of insulin in the blood/tissues.
Dietary ketosis does not cause or lead to diabetic ketoacidosis.

peppiB

Hi Fergus,

You did more to help me in several hours reading your posts on here than doctors did in a year. Welcome back.

Am used to the morning smell of ketones now - winning the battle!

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I have had a hellish month back on carbs trying to get my insulin doses correct and having up to 3 hypos a day. Levels are now running too high and I feel like I have gone right back to square one. Decided enough is enough and am going to try low carb again - stuff what the nurse says!!!

Special thanks to Katherine for suggestions for useful information - knowledge is power!!

Ax