Dieting to lose weight with type 1

Briefco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I am finding it difficult to find advice on dieting with Type 1.any sources/advice?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is unlikely to be specific advice for someone with Type 1 (and if there is, they are cashing in on you). A healthy diet for someone with Type 1 is the same as a healthy diet for someone without diabetes.
So, the choice is wide. Just remember to adjust your insulin accordingly.

Briefco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not very helpful. The issue is that I am eating exactly the same diet as pre diagnosis but have put on about 5kg.And i eat a pretty low carb diet and a healthy one. It clearly is insulin related so need some advice from someone who has the same issue

Reactions: Prancy

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the risk of cross posting as I’m T2 diet controlled, just a couple of questions that may help other T1s on the forum share their experiences

Did you lose weight before you were diagnosed T1? it’s my understanding that that is a common symptom of undiagnosed T1, also are you overweight now or is it possible you are just regaining the weight you lost before diagnosis?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not very helpful. The issue is that I am eating exactly the same diet as pre diagnosis but have put on about 5kg.And i eat a pretty low carb diet and a healthy one. It clearly is insulin related so need some advice from someone who has the same issue
Please please please do not perpetuate the myth that insulin makes you gain weight. It is an incredible dangerous thing the suggest - just look up diabulimia.
Everyone, whether diabetic or not, uses insulin. The only difference is that we inject it.
Excess insulin can cause weight gain but unless you have insulin resistance, that is not an issue.
5kg is not a low of weight. As @lovinglife mentioned, a common symptom of Type 1 is weight loss. It is common to put that weight back on.

Reactions: ElenaP

RoughcutAU

Please please please do not perpetuate the myth that insulin makes you gain weight. It is an incredible dangerous thing the suggest - just look up diabulimia.
Everyone, whether diabetic or not, uses insulin. The only difference is that we inject it.
Excess insulin can cause weight gain but unless you have insulin resistance, that is not an issue.
5kg is not a low of weight. As @lovinglife mentioned, a common symptom of Type 1 is weight loss. It is common to put that weight back on.

In Response is correct … Insulin itself is not the cause of weight gain after diagnosis and treatment starting. Pre diagnosis it is likely that you lost a significant amount of weight due to our body being unable to process glucose (our main power source) effectively so it basically burnt fat for fuel to keep going which lead to some very dangerous byproducts. Insulin is the key that allows the body to correctly use the energy in the food we consume. Hence alot of T1Ds like myself put some if not all that weight back on unless we are mindful what we eat and dont go crazy.

You may not need to make drastic changes to diet just improve alittle on what you were doing pre-diagnosis. Basically if you kept the same diet and activity as pre-diagnosis and treatment then the condition was what was keeping your weight down.

Does your Hospital have a dietician they can book you into? Where I am at least I got several appointments for free with one of the clinic dieticians.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are some threads around here about T ones who have lost weight, diet, etc. See weight loss. I’ve recently lost 70 pounds. I’m on pump. My first suggestion would be consultation with a nutritionist at your endocrinologist’s office. I found that very helpful. I can attest that it is possible to lose weight taking insulin. Hang in there.