Diets and exercise

Diabetic2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm new here so I hope you can help me with a problem I've had for a while

My name is Michael. I have been type 1 diabetic for 15 years. I'm 34. I exercise fairly regularly, mainly boxing, cycling, kickboxing, and running. I am trying to slim down and get in shape but have no definite idea as to how to do this, as the clash between having carbs and sugars to keep my sugar level up when exercising is possibly also the same thing that is keeping me a bit pear-shaped.

Are there any foods/diets that would keep my sugar levels steady when doing high-intensity exercise and allow me to work off my tires and get in shape? If so could you provide any specific examples of these?

Thanks everyone.
Michael.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

My name is Michael. I have been type 1 diabetic for 15 years. I'm 34. I exercise fairly regularly, mainly boxing, cycling, kickboxing, and running. I am trying to slim down and get in shape but have no definite idea as to how to do this, as the clash between having carbs and sugars to keep my sugar level up when exercising is possibly also the same thing that is keeping me a bit pear-shaped.

Are there any foods/diets that would keep my sugar levels steady when doing high-intensity exercise and allow me to work off my tires and get in shape? If so could you provide any specific examples of these?

Thanks everyone.
Michael.

Hi Michael, take a look at http://www.runsweet.com it is a website for diabetics who do a lot of activity and there is a area on nutrition.

Welcome to the forums.

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks everyone.
Michael.
Hi
There is a thread just before yours about "hypos after going to the gym"-and it contains alot of great info on blood sugars/insulin/exercise that should help you.
I suspect your insulin may need adjusting due to the intensisty of your work outs-speak with your Diabetes team about this to help get it right
Good Luck

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Thanks everyone.
Michael.

Hi Michael,

Have a look at www.teambloodglucose.com for some help.

A couple of things to consider;
If you are exercising at a high intensity (so elevated heart rate) you will get a stress response that will cause a blood glucose rise (which you might have spotted in some of your activities) At high intensity, glucose is the body's preferred fuel source, so you will burn through more than at a lower intensity. In addition to this, after you finish your activity your liver (and muscles) will need to re-stock their supplies and the only way not to avoid a low BG later on in the day is to satisfy this with Carb.
For moderate intensity exercise, we can fuel our bodies more comfortably on fat. Consequently you could exercise for a longer period of time at a lower intensity and you will have fewer stores to fill with carb afterwards.

Sorry it doesn't really help with regards to wanting a magic solution for your high intensity workouts, but consider incorporating some 'low intensity' exercise days in to your program to help shift any unwanted wobble.

Many people find that turning to a lower carb diet allows the body to adapt to a to burning fats over glucose too - and it might be worth considering this.:)

Diabetic2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks everyone.
Michael.
Hi Michael,

If you are exercising at a high intensity (so elevated heart rate) you will get a stress response that will cause a blood glucose rise (which you might have spotted in some of your activities) At high intensity, glucose is the body's preferred fuel source, so you will burn through more than at a lower intensity. In addition to this, after you finish your activity your liver (and muscles) will need to re-stock their supplies and the only way not to avoid a low BG later on in the day is to satisfy this with Carb.
For moderate intensity exercise, we can fuel our bodies more comfortably on fat. Consequently you could exercise for a longer period of time at a lower intensity and you will have fewer stores to fill with carb afterwards.

Sorry it doesn't really help with regards to wanting a magic solution for your high intensity workouts, but consider incorporating some 'low intensity' exercise days in to your program to help shift any unwanted wobble.

Many people find that turning to a lower carb diet allows the body to adapt to a to burning fats over glucose too - and it might be worth considering this.:)
Hi Michael,

Thanks Bebo321

Reactions: 2 people

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi Michael, to lose weight you need to eat less, exercise keeps you fit which all T1s need but does not necessarily reduce weight. I assume you count your carbs and take insulin accordingly. You need to accurately count your daily carbs and very slowly reduce the intake, you'll be surprised how small reductions will reduce weight.
David

Diabetic2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Michael, to lose weight you need to eat less, exercise keeps you fit which all T1s need but does not necessarily reduce weight. I assume you count your carbs and take insulin accordingly. You need to accurately count your daily carbs and very slowly reduce the intake, you'll be surprised how small reductions will reduce weight.
David

Thanks David

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try veggie diet, yogurt,eggs,nuts,etc. take juice diet when workout will help yo with enough energy to burn calories.
I had tried Regenon pills it help me in weight loss with controlled diets and my workout routines.

Diabetic2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try veggie diet, yogurt,eggs,nuts,etc. take juice diet when workout will help yo with enough energy to burn calories.
I had tried Regenon pills it help me in weight loss with controlled diets and my workout routines.

Thanks Jeanette. What exactly is the juice diet?

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly @Diabetic2000 I would recommend giving low carbohydrate high fat way of eating a go. My confidence for sport (mainly running and cycling), teaching and general day-to-day things has increased dramatically. I've always been slim but been doing LCHF five/six weeks now and I'd say I'm in better shape than before diagnosis of type one! The carbohydrates really are the killer and my glucometer proved that to me. Have a search around in the Low Carb threads to find out more information which will help your decision :)

Reactions: 2 people

Diabetic2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly @Diabetic2000 I would recommend giving low carbohydrate high fat way of eating a go. My confidence for sport (mainly running and cycling), teaching and general day-to-day things has increased dramatically. I've always been slim but been doing LCHF five/six weeks now and I'd say I'm in better shape than before diagnosis of type one! The carbohydrates really are the killer and my glucometer proved that to me. Have a search around in the Low Carb threads to find out more information which will help your decision :)

Thanks teacher123.