Difference between Lantus and Semglee

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Does anyone know the difference between Lantus and Semglee insulin ? I was on Lantus for years without a problem but a couple of years ago I picked up my insulin prescription only to find that it had been changed to Semglee , when I asked the pharmacist he said he was surprised my Dr hadn't been in touch and told me why . I didn't have any problem with the change so never asked why and can only assume it's a cheaper insulin .

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Both Lantus and Semglee are insulin glargine, they are biosimilars. Just like different brands of coffee or milk really.
I suppose the Semglee is a little cheaper and that's why you were given it.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Why did my reply come up as a completely new post ? I haven't posted on here for such a long time that I can't remember how you do it but didn't think you just posted a reply ,

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Both Lantus and Semglee are insulin glargine, they are biosimilars. Just like different brands of coffee or milk really.
I suppose the Semglee is a little cheaper and that's why you were given it.
That sounds about right for my surgery , everything done on the cheap , I did ask a few years ago about a CGM and was told no chance ! I think I would still be doing urine tests if I hadn't pushed them to prescribe me a Freestyle mobile .

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds about right for my surgery , everything done on the cheap
It's not that the quality is less, and it seems to work well for you. Why would you want the more expensive insulin as long as the cheaper one is doing the job just as well?
I did ask a few years ago about a CGM and was told no chance
Hopefully this will change!

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's not that the quality is less, and it seems to work well for you. Why would you want the more expensive insulin as long as the cheaper one is doing the job just as well?

Hopefully this will change!
I didn't say I wanted the more expensive insulin and as long it doesn't compromise on the quality i'me ok with it and the money they save might fund a CGM maybe .

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I agree it is a different thread but for the future how do I start a new post as it must have been an error this time ?
Go into the Sub-forum you want to start the thread in. E.g. "Diabetes Discussion" and then press the green button "Post New Thread".

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why did my reply come up as a completely new post ? I haven't posted on here for such a long time that I can't remember how you do it but didn't think you just posted a reply ,
It did because I moved it to a thread of its own. I now moved your other replies as well, to keep the conversation on that thread on Lantus and Levemir.

If you look at the top right of the forum, you'll find a a little flag. Click it, and you'll find your alerts. There should be two alerts I sent you today, explaining I've moved your post and why!
Yes I agree it is a different thread but for the future how do I start a new post as it must have been an error this time ?
I think you'll find these videos very useful to get reacquainted with how the forum works: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-beginners-video-guides.51729/

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It did because I moved it to a thread of its own. I now moved your other replies as well, to keep the conversation on that thread on Lantus and Levemir.

If you look at the top right of the forum, you'll find a a little flag. Click it, and you'll find your alerts. There should be two alerts I sent you today, explaining I've moved your post and why!

I think you'll find these videos very useful to get reacquainted with how the forum works: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-beginners-video-guides.51729/
Thanks for that , I did in fact post it on the original Lantus and Levemir post because I couldn't remember how to start a new post but hopefully will remember for next time .

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that , I did in fact post it on the original Lantus and Levemir post because I couldn't remember how to start a new post but hopefully will remember for next time .
You're welcome, and glad all is clear now!
Don't hesitate to ask for help if you have any trouble navigating the forum. :)