different BG reading between left and right fingers

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I know this has probably been discussed before so apologies. Some times when I prick a finger on my right hand and then repeat on a finger on my left hand the reading is different. I do wash my hands before testing so I know its not that. Anyone else have this experience?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is normal. Blood is not a homogenous substance. And independent strips aren't either, so on the same hand from the same drop of blood, you can get two different readings.

Reactions: petepontiac
A

asparagusp

Hold on a second. The original poster says different hands! Hankjam will know the answer since he always states which finger when giving fasting readings!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hold on a second. The original poster says different hands! Hankjam will know the answer since he always states which finger when giving fasting readings!

You might find most of us know which finger gives the best readings...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@petepontiac, yes, you will get different reading s from different finger or even the same finger, etc, as @tim2000s has told you. Your blood is circulating round your body all the time and with it varying amounts of glucose - it's not not a static system. Bothering over it is pointless - be more concerned instead with identifying patterns from the readings you get over time. But wash your hands (again) and retest if you get a very "way out" result, and maybe think too what else may have caused it: food, health, stress, etc as well as mucky paws can all be responsible.

Robbity