Different levels HBA1C

Shelleybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed 8 months ago my levels where 77, then 85, and this week 96, I lost 30lb since being diagnosed mainly through a bit of diet change but not overly dieting, my finger prick checks have never been below 13 since diagnosed, I was due to have some surgery and it’s been cancelled as needs to be below 69, my gp has just prescribed me sitagliptin, as I wasn’t getting on well with metformin and never even managed to get to the 2000mg dose. What’s people’s experience with the sitagliptin? I’m genuinely worried Iv been misdiagnosed and I’m type 1 but they haven’t offered me any test to check I am type 2. Can anyone offer support I’m genuinely terrified of having diabetes. I have an appointment with my DN on 10th October is there anything I should ask or question. Thanks

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You mention diet changes. Have you tried reducing carbs as far as possible, testing as you go? I am T2 and there has never been any doubt about that, unlike what you describe, but if you have seriously cut carb intake, yet your blood glucose levels won't come down, it is reasonable to think your pancreas is no longer producing insulin to deal even with your own glucose production. That can either be because you are indeed T1, or because your pancreas is burnt out because of overproduction of insulin. Either way, you'll need to explain to your doctor the changes you've done, and show him how it hasn't helped your blood sugar.

As you can see from my signature, I've reduced my HbA1c down to normal levels twice in six years, simply by reducing carb intake. That is possible for me because my pancreas still produces insulin to deal with my dawn phenomenon (though I wish my liver wasn't so zealous about making sure I have glucose in my system first thing in the morning!) If you're not producing insulin, you need to take insulin, and you need to ask to be referred to an endocrinologist, at the very least.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed 8 months ago my levels where 77, then 85, and this week 96, I lost 30lb since being diagnosed mainly through a bit of diet change but not overly dieting, my finger prick checks have never been below 13 since diagnosed, I was due to have some surgery and it’s been cancelled as needs to be below 69, my gp has just prescribed me sitagliptin, as I wasn’t getting on well with metformin and never even managed to get to the 2000mg dose. What’s people’s experience with the sitagliptin? I’m genuinely worried Iv been misdiagnosed and I’m type 1 but they haven’t offered me any test to check I am type 2. Can anyone offer support I’m genuinely terrified of having diabetes. I have an appointment with my DN on 10th October is there anything I should ask or question. Thanks
Hello and welcome to our forum. Congratulations on losing the surplus weight.

Your DN may want to adjust your current medication.

Meanwhile, do you have a meter and test strips? How are your readings immediately before and two hours after meals? Are you doing everything you can to keep carb intake low?

Last edited: