Different meters.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all. I have been having a problem with my bsl for a while. I have just started an xpert course and she gave us all a new glucomen areo meter. I have been using a glucomen gm meter.

Today I used both at the same time. Same drop of blood from same finger. The areo said 6.3 and the gm 8.4.

I was expecting them to be a bit different but not by that much. I am now wondering if I really have that much of a problem!!

Any advice or comments? I don't have many strips for the areo but will try again a few times. Thanks for any comments.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Please put one of them away for emergencies only. This difference is not at all unusual and if my maths is right the difference is within the 15% tolerance. . If you had repeated the tests on both meters again the results could easily have been in reverse. Even different fingers, different hands. Using both will only confuse matters, and in this particular case you have no idea which is the more accurate..

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please put one of them away for emergencies only. This difference is not at all unusual and if my maths is right the difference is within the 15% tolerance. . If you had repeated the tests on both meters again the results could easily have been in reverse. Even different fingers, different hands. Using both will only confuse matters, and in this particular case you have no idea which is the more accurate..

You are quite right! I have no idea which one is more accurate. I am going to use the new one, which gives the lower result. I think I may have fixed my high fbg problem in the mornings.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is the same problem as the man with two watches never knowing what the time is.

As @Bluetit1802 says the measuring devices have a defined tolerance of accuracy.

When I started studying for Physics A' level, the first lessons we had were on the limits of accuracy in measurement. Biological systems will vary even more.

Your meter and the strips has a leaflet with it explaining the range of accuracy ad nauseam.

Going back to the "same" drop of blood may give time for the sample on the finger to oxidise in the air or even be contaminated with enzyme from the first strip.