1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Different reading with the same food

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by jojo7, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jojo7

jojo7 Type 2 · Member

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can explain to me as I'm still trying to get to grips with what foods to eat and testing.I have been eating a measured amount of oats, semi milk and tsp of cinnamon for breakfast and it hasn't move my readings much ( up 0.7 mmols) but today the same food at the same time pushed levels up by just over 3mmols. Is this normal for a level to be so different?
    I'm T2 on 2x850 metformin.

2. Sharon Guy

Sharon Guy · Active Member

I don't know as I am still learning too but I shall read replies with interest.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.

There is a LOT more going on inside your body that contributes to your BG level than the amount of carbs you put in, but reducing HOW MUCH of a food that effects your BG is one way to attempt to control your overall BG.

4. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree its not just the food we eat that can affect our bg levels things like a bug or an infection, stress, day to day differences in our hormones or just a dodgy blood sample.

I would be perfectly happy with a rise of .7 mmol/L at the 2 hour postprandial mark and the odd blip I wouldnt worry too much about. If you worry about it the stress may push your levels up higher so just write it off as a one off until it starts happening again and again in which case take another look at that meal and perhaps think about adjusting the portion slightly :D

5. jojo7

jojo7 Type 2 · Member

Thanks v much for your replies, I will try not to worry - till the next time :D

6. Finzi

Finzi · Well-Known Member

Also, you are lucky if your meter is always that consistent. I can have a difference of 1-2mmol sometimes on the same blood sample (eg measure, but higher than I expected, measure again using same drop of blood, different reading up to 2mmol).

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook