1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Different sized pupils

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by MaxWill, Jan 14, 2019.

1. MaxWill

MaxWill · Newbie

Hi all,

My wife has Type 1 diabetes (disgnosed 2.5 years ago in her 30s) and when she has a hypo her pupils are different sizes. She also has hypo unawareness so relies on me to tell her when she needs to eat/take action.

Yesterday she very obviously had the issue with her pupils being mismatched and I urged her to eat/put some sugar in her coffee but she was adamant she was fine and tested her blood sugar levels which were good (7.7 I think). She was also not 'acting' hypo and we had had a big lunch only a few hours previously.

Does anyone else have this issue and is there an explanation for having hypo symptoms whilst sugar levels are OK?

Sorry if question is basic, it's my first post (I did do a search first).

Thanks,
    Max

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Hi Welcome to the forum. :)

Nope can happen, not often but can.

Normally you may find that the T1 concerned has been running very high sugars for a long time and when they drop suddenly they may get the effects of a hypo, even though they are not.

Must confess that I have no idea if my pupils are of a different size when I am in hypo territory, must ask Mrs Knikki to keep an eye (no pun intended) for that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I had different size pupils when I was on antidepressants (2 different kinds of SSRI's), but no idea if having a hypo does that as well. I'll try to remember to take a selfie to check next time :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Could her blood sample have been affected by something on her hands? (wash, rinse thoroughly, dry completely - then test) Having eaten a large meal only a few hours before isn't always a sure sign that someone isn't hypo either.

I can't say any ones notice if my pupils are different sizes when hypo but as a hypo symptom it's a new one on me! but everyone different :happy: From my limited medical knowledge, (ie none, unless you include watching Casualty on TV :hilarious:) having odd size pupils normally suggest a brain defect..........:playful:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Agree!
    Well, what is a hypo other than a temporary brain defect? The brain is acutely lacking of energy when hypo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

@MaxWill Just been speaking to Mrs Knikki and she says that my pupils can be an inappropriate size for the amount of light when hypo.

Which means that if I'm in a room where there is not much light then normally the pupils will be wide open, however when hypoing the pupils could be very small.

So wrong size but both the same.

If your wife has different size pupils I would certainly seek more information from someone more medically qualified than us.

It is best to be on the safe side.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook