Different types

Sugar pie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
banana's, fake people,
Hi, I am a little baffled by what some people call type1 and type2 diabetes. I have always thought that type1 was insulin dependant (injections) and type 2 was tablets and/or diet and then if needed moved onto injections. But when I've seen some peoples profile on this forum they say they are type1 but treated with diet only. Have I been wrong for the past 23years? :?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sugar Pie,

Type 1 is where the pancreas is not able to produce insulin (generally because the beta cells have been destroyed by the body's own autoimmune system, although there are other causes). However the pancreas sometimes tries to prove everyone wrong by having a last fling at producing insulin before it finally packs in for good. This interlude is called the "honeymoon period" and can last for a few weeks or a few months, and in rare cases a year or more. It is during the honeymoon period that a type 1 can exist only on diet.

A type 2 has a pancreas that is able to produce insulin, although often only with a prod from a medicine to get it started. Sometimes the insulin produced is not enough to do the job, so a type 2 can also need insulin injections to supplement the body's own insulin.

Hope that helps.

Fizzy

Dislikes
I dislike nasty people!
Im not trying to be negative, but I know of someone who is a type 2, he has maybe one injection a day (well he has cut down on them on the docs say so) and is massively overweight. Yet he will swear to the skies above he is type 1. I said if you are hoping to come off your jabs then you are a type 2... this confuses me... im not sure if he says it so people dont mention his weight being a contributing factor.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Fizzy,

One of the most common complaints on this forum is of a misdiagnosis of T2 as T1, or T1 as T2. To me it is becoming very aparent that there are just too many GPs who don't have a clue about diabetes! Could be that your friend happens to be a patient of one!!

Bob,
I believe you are right - there is a test that looks for the presence of abnormal antibodies. But that only works where it is the autoimmune system that was responsible for destroying the beta cells. There can also be other causes such as pancreatitis. I see that mumps is believed to be a primary cause of the rogue antibodies. Out of interest have any type 1s ever been asked at diagnosis whether they have ever had mumps?

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Neither of my girls has had the mumps, both Type1's.

Just to muddy the waters further, I have also read about Type 1.5, which is apparently an adult onset (typically late forties) onset Type 1, which is confirmed by the presence of antibodies. It is also known as LADA (Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults). It seems that quite a few diagnosed as Type 2 could be Type 1.5. They usually need to go on to insulin sooner than true Type 2's.
Sue

Mal

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
How confusing!
Think I will stick to being "Diabetic".

yorksherpud

My son was diagnosed a month ago now and he hasn't had the mumps, but has had chicken pox, although that was when he was only two months old.

We did all come down with a very bad bout of the norovirus (the one that shuts hospitals) last easter, picked up whilst out at a restaurant. 7 of the 9 who went out were very ill and one elderly member of the family passed away as a result. Since then we seem to have picked up every tummy bug going, although the doctors don't think that's due to the original norovirus although they can't offer any other reason why we have been more poorly this year than ever before.

Hoping to find some answers as there are no diabetics in the family either.

Kindest regards

Pud x

Fizzy

Dislikes
I dislike nasty people!
As far as Im aware I havnt had mumps before... does the illness need to be near the diagnosis time to guess what caused it. The only illness I had before my diagnosis was a 24 hour sickness bug and as I am very rarely ill I couldnt pinpoint anything else around that time? Strange!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's a conclusive test to distinguish type 1 from type 2. It's a by-product of insulin production in the pancreas and it's a protein called c-peptide. No c-peptide, no insulin.

All the best,

fergus

donna1071

Hi,
i have a close relative who has type 2. When i found out i was totally confused by it all. I heard different things from different people. I decided to do some research of my own on line and after a while came across a site which covers just about everything i needed to know.
If your still unsure go to http://www.theinfolibrary.net/diabetes

Hope this is of some help,
Donna

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Thanks for that link, Donna and welcome to the forum.I hope you will find some interesting info on the board that you can pass on to your relative.

A

Anonymous

Hi Sugar Pie Mark from Preston on 2 June about type one and type two Diabetes. I thonk it ties you up so much that you always seem to be guiding yourself on what you should and shouldn't eat and injections and tablets and that, thay you soon forget it can be so confusing.
Mark Halliwell19
Sophie1.

setiawan

yach I am agree with dennis.... type 1 called diabetes insulin dependent cause damage of pancreas so can not produce insulin and type2 diabetes cause resistance insulin and problems with secretion insulin