Dilema!

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hba1c has dropped from 9.6 to 7.2!!

This was because my parents and I would consisantly argue about my diabetes, so I asked them not to get involved at all because I felt I could do it better on my own. this was a couple of years ago. My levels prove this. But now they want to become part of it all again. I don't know what to do, logic says I should be keeping on as I am because it's my health that matters, and I shouldn't have to sacrifice that for them, especially as we don't get on anyway, but part of me still feels a bit bad. I'm not struggling with my diabetes and 'm 15.

Thoughts on how to procced??

CambridgeLass

Well done! :) that's great news. I understand where you are coming from. What I would do is sit down with them and have a frank adult conversation... calmly....and talk about it. Ultimately it's your diabetes, and you'll always be managing it, but you can show them you are taking care of yourself...as I'm sure that is what they are concerned about. Maybe you can come to some arrangement where you continue to manage it and they can have a small input from time to time? My daughter is only little and I obviously manage it for her now; but I hope I am educating her how important it is so she can take care of herself independently. Still, I would hope she wouldn't shut me out when she is older, as I'd worry and want to know she's managing OK. Whatever age she is she'll still be my world.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like your doing very well, as suggested a nice calm talk I would also suggest. Maybe they think they know how u should be managing, but, as your the one with the condition u know alot better what does/doesn't work for u. Ask them what concerns they have and maybe try to educate them a little about how and what you have been doing to get your hba1c lower. They probably just want to be a little involved as they are just concerned for u. Hope all goes well.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
No expert here but show them what youv'e acheived, then ask them. Help me do it my way, it works.

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done :clap: excellent results!

As to your dilemma, if it were me, I’d resist involving my parents. There are a multitude of reasons why you might want to involve them, but I’d say none of those reasons are to do with improving your HbA1c. Your parents might surprise you by having some excellent suggestions, but from your original post that isn’t looking likely to me.

Is there a chance your parents will have been on this forum and found your dilemma? Perhaps the answer to that question will help you decide what to do.

I’ll admit my family was fairly dysfunctional when I was diagnosed, aged 11, and still is. They couldn’t have provided either emotional support or practical advice. Perhaps I missed out, but I felt I took responsibility at an early age, and I still feel good about that.

Good luck whatever you decide.