Dinner Problems

Knitter

Hello

I have MODY and now am experiencing insulin dependant gestational diabetes. My blood sugars have started to climb and I am trying to do what I can to keep them under control and during the day it is going well.

Where I am struggling is at night time as traditionally our meals were quite carb heavy things like pasta, pizza, rice dishes etc and I am finding it difficult to think of meal ideas that are mainly veggie and not too carb heavy. We cook everything from scratch too so some quick and easy meal ideas would be gratefully appreciated :D

Fraddycat

I make things like;
Bolognese sauce then steam broccoli and put the sauce over that instead of pasta. Sprinkle with a bit of grated cheese.
Slice courgettes, fry in olive or coconut oil until caramelized and a bit crispy, use instead of chips with steak
make cauliflower pancakes to use instead of bread or wraps http://slimpalate.com/cauliflower-torti ... uten-free/
This evening I made enchiladas without the wraps. Fry chicken, chorizo and onion together then I made a spice paste with tomato puree, cumin, paprika, chilli, garlic and black pepper, mix with a little water and then fry the chicken mix in the paste until cooked through - I served it with sliced avocado.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, im no expert at all about this stuff, do you like cauliflower? you can still have the pizzas but make a cauliflower pizza base, its great, for the rice you could try cauliflower rice theres are recipes on here for those, maybe have the spag bol, but just have more meat and just a spoon full of wholemeal pasta but with a homemade pasta sauce, you can have the usual omelettes and steaks with veg, chicken stir fries, home made burgers are really easy to make and wrapped in lettuce leaves are terrific, i make low carb sauce to go on the burgers and they taste better than the shop bought by far, crustless quiche, phew there are loads id have a look on sites like this for example http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/menus/ ... rmenus.htm

good luck

Andy

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh yes fraddy cat reminded me about butternut squash chips, they are great

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
and chicken skewers you can play around something fierce with the veg, and they are fun to make

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:
oh yes fraddy cat reminded me about butternut squash chips, they are great

Second this.
Prefer them to normal chips!