Discrimination:

Chelsea__

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Chelsea, when you see the people at the CAB make sure you have written down all that happened and what was said so it's fresh in your mind. I had a read of your other posts and see that you have had major problems with your control in the past and some days now not taking your insulin. Do you think that this has had an impact on your quality of work without you realising it, so your bosses decided to terminate your employment? I hope this isn't the case but it's just a suggestion to consider, because if it's taken further you will have to release your medical records.
Wishing you the very best and hoping another company will take you on and appreciate all your hard work.

Although I've struggled with my diabetes before I've never let it affect my work life, the only times I've phoned in sick is because I've had a few sickness bugs and can't be around the residents, and maybe a couple times have been because I've had hypos and been advised by my diabetic nurse to rest for the day as my shifts are 12 hours long. This has been the only time I've actually been admitted to hospital and been off for more than 48 hours since I started working there.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Chelsea....sounds like you have been treated shabbily and illegally, but whether or not you can get some satisfaction and redress will depend on the evidence you have, on the company's expressed reasons for your dismissal. I recently completed a law degree, spending a good while on employment law, and my wife is a nurse who now works for an agency around a wide number of care homes. Undoubtedly standards vary from home to home and some are very poorly managed. Money is very much the driving force not love of people, so you can be dealing with detached and ruthless owners. I don't agree with the comment that you should stay away from care work and health care in general. I'm not sure what the person advising you there has as experience...and it's a very extreme and subjective condemnation of the NHS and social services. Nursing is still an excellent profession with a lot of job security (here and abroad), and there are very good opportunities in specific skilled areas. Sure there are all kinds of problems with management, cut-backs, organization, etc etc...but that applies to every industry in my experience..and having worked in insurance, construction, demolition, education, renewable energy and small business in my time, I can tell you it's everywhere...and worse now than ever, but...let's not confuse poorly run profit making private homes with the NHS and with some very good care homes, palliative care homes, residential homes and social care facilities. The point isn't that you should give up because everything's terrible - it's that people need to challenge illegal activity and shoddy practice, when they are discriminated against. My wife may have criticisms of places she has worked, but in today's confused world, nursing is a good qualification and a job for life. Don't let the....grind you down...

My advice is either accept the negative advice of others and give up on the career path you have chosen...or challenge it, learn from it and go on. Fair enough if you have arrived at your own decision to change direction but don't be bullied out of it by idiots, money-grabbers and crooks. So - call a solicitors near to you (preferably not a large expensive one) and ask the if they do a "free diagnostic"...and if so, do they have an employment lawyer you could come in and see. If they do, the diagnostic is an interview where you can say what's happened and they can say (without any fee) whether or not you have a case. They will tell you what they can do for you (and that's where cost comes in, but only if you engage their services). It's common practice today for solicitors to offer free diagnostics. There is also the route of formally complaining to the employer and pushing for arbitration (an independent organization to judge), and there are tribunals you can appeal to. Up to ypu, but don't be put off your chosen career. No-one can sack you for being diabetic!
Good advicepleinster

Reactions: 2 people