Display screens, ease of reading?

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, I am partially sighted due to the ravages of proliferative retinopathy and have just some sight in one eye.

I use a Medtronic Veo pump at present. I do struggle with the screen but use either a magnifying page or 2 pairs of reading glasses. The Medtronic has black type on a grey screen but does have a backlight to improve contrast. The alarms that appear on the pump screen are in capital letters so are easier to read. I know the Animas Vibe does have a bigger screen area although the type is probably about the same size with white type on a dark screen plus a coloured bar to highlight the menu. The biggest problem I have is filling the reservoir and trying to make sure no bubbles are present, seeing clear insulin in a clear plastic reservoir and tubing is quite a challenge.

I don't know if pump clinics can suggest a different pump as my clinic only uses Medtronic. I would suggest you ask at your clinic to meet a few of the pump company reps and have a play with the pumps to see which one you are best able to read. We have got used to brightly coloured touch screens on other gadgets, it would be great to be able to increase the size of the text on a pump screen.

Good luck finding a suitable pump, it's a fantastic piece of technology.

Reactions: 2 people
H

Hooked

Hello, I am partially sighted due to the ravages of proliferative retinopathy and have just some sight in one eye.

I use a Medtronic Veo pump at present. I do struggle with the screen but use either a magnifying page or 2 pairs of reading glasses. The Medtronic has black type on a grey screen but does have a backlight to improve contrast. The alarms that appear on the pump screen are in capital letters so are easier to read. I know the Animas Vibe does have a bigger screen area although the type is probably about the same size with white type on a dark screen plus a coloured bar to highlight the menu. The biggest problem I have is filling the reservoir and trying to make sure no bubbles are present, seeing clear insulin in a clear plastic reservoir and tubing is quite a challenge.

I don't know if pump clinics can suggest a different pump as my clinic only uses Medtronic. I would suggest you ask at your clinic to meet a few of the pump company reps and have a play with the pumps to see which one you are best able to read. We have got used to brightly coloured touch screens on other gadgets, it would be great to be able to increase the size of the text on a pump screen.

Good luck finding a suitable pump, it's a fantastic piece of technology.

Thank you for your reply.
Gosh, I hadn't even thought about the tubing/insulin and being able to see those properly! Good to hear feed back on a pump from someone else suffering PR. I'm due to see the dietician and nurse next week, I'll ask them a few questions and find out what pumps might be available.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Hooked, on your appointment, you will be allowed to play around with the pumps that are provided by your hospital and the same for the sets. I have an animas vibe pump but the writing is quite small, but it is a colour screen ( not sure if that would help you?). I will have a look in my settings later and see if you can change text size. I have the inset ii set tubing and and canula, which is very easy to use and that is pretty much chose what pump I went for as I have no fingers on my left hand, so I can use this set one handed. But when I've looked in the advanced settings I'll let you know if text size can be changed.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Here is a photo of the display, but you can not adjust text size as their is no option to change, but hope the photo gives you some idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 210
Reactions: 4 people
H

Hooked

Hooked, on your appointment, you will be allowed to play around with the pumps that are provided by your hospital and the same for the sets. I have an animas vibe pump but the writing is quite small, but it is a colour screen ( not sure if that would help you?). I will have a look in my settings later and see if you can change text size. I have the inset ii set tubing and and canula, which is very easy to use and that is pretty much chose what pump I went for as I have no fingers on my left hand, so I can use this set one handed. But when I've looked in the advanced settings I'll let you know if text size can be changed.

Hi,
Thank you so much for taking time to put up a photo and check the settings. I do find colour screens are easier to read than grey ones. Good to hear that I will get an opportunity to play around with the pumps too. You've taken a weight off my mind.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That's quite alright and you are very welcome. I'm glad I've taken some weight of your mind :)

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Hooked

If you type 'partially sighted' into the search function in this forum there are a few helpful discussions and links to using pumps and infusion sets with limited sight. It has started me researching as my pump is due to be renewed soon and I'm interested to see what has changed over the last few years in screen appearance and clarity. I did ask a Medtronic rep if they could produce infusion sets and reservoirs in tinted plastic to make life a bit easier but he didn't think there was a demand. Oh well. Hope your pump quest goes well.

H

Hooked

Hi Hooked

If you type 'partially sighted' into the search function in this forum there are a few helpful discussions and links to using pumps and infusion sets with limited sight. It has started me researching as my pump is due to be renewed soon and I'm interested to see what has changed over the last few years in screen appearance and clarity. I did ask a Medtronic rep if they could produce infusion sets and reservoirs in tinted plastic to make life a bit easier but he didn't think there was a demand. Oh well. Hope your pump quest goes well.

I'll do that now, thanks. :)
I'm shocked that they don't feel there would be demand in something that would make life easier for those with sight problems.... Didn't he know that diabetes is a leading cause?! :facepalm:

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
image.jpg image.jpg Hooked, here are pics of the set that I use and a pic of the pump, with parts of the menu highlighted. Hope this helps.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Animas Vibe and I have cataracts which makes me susceptible to glare and generally gives me poor visual acuity.

I struggle with the canula connectors if I have my glasses off and I wish they had a strong colour scheme on the plastic to show the correct orientation. I often have to connect and disconnect them "by feel" and I worry I may bend the connector needle by forcing it accidentally, leading to delivery problems.

I find I am barely able to see the screen when outdoors, due to my susceptibility to glare, even on a mildly sunny day. Once summer comes I will have no chance. To be fair I have the same problem with my mobile phone. The Vibe does have 3 levels of brightness / contrast that you can select easily.

I guess the main point is too play with them all in the clinic before you decide.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

H

Hooked

I use the Animas Vibe and I have cataracts which makes me susceptible to glare and generally gives me poor visual acuity.

I struggle with the canula connectors if I have my glasses off and I wish they had a strong colour scheme on the plastic to show the correct orientation. I often have to connect and disconnect them "by feel" and I worry I may bend the connector needle by forcing it accidentally, leading to delivery problems.

I find I am barely able to see the screen when outdoors, due to my susceptibility to glare, even on a mildly sunny day. Once summer comes I will have no chance. To be fair I have the same problem with my mobile phone. The Vibe does have 3 levels of brightness / contrast that you can select easily.

I guess the main point is too play with them all in the clinic before you decide.

Thanks for your reply. It's great to hear other peoples' experiences with pumps. I'm seeing the nurse and dietician tomorrow morning. Will certainly find out what pumps are available to me at least, hopefully I might get to look at them too.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good. Glad to help, other sets fit different pumps some just need an extra connection bit. But talk to your team when you get to have a play around.

H

Hooked

Great news: I seen the diabetes nurse and dietician today and all going to plan I'll be getting my induction for the pump next Tuesday!!! I'm over the moon. I asked about screens etc and they showed me the Animas 2020 and I found the screen on that to be fine for me to read. :)

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Why the 2020??? I thought their was an issue with the date that these pumps will give out on? I maybe wrong, but I thought that they were being replaced with Vibes. And been back through the previous pages to see if I can find the post, but I'm in the middle of a massive ironing session :(. At least it will drop my blood sugars, but when I've finished the ironing session, probably early evening, I'll troll back through and see if I can find it.

H

Hooked

Why the 2020??? I thought their was an issue with the date that these pumps will give out on? I maybe wrong, but I thought that they were being replaced with Vibes. And been back through the previous pages to see if I can find the post, but I'm in the middle of a massive ironing session :(. At least it will drop my blood sugars, but when I've finished the ironing session, probably early evening, I'll troll back through and see if I can find it.

Really? I haven't got a clue on these things at all. :confused:
I'm at work here, so only able to pop in and out of here when things are quiet. Would be interesting to hear what the issue is if anyone knows.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Really? I haven't got a clue on these things at all. :confused:
I'm at work here, so only able to pop in and out of here when things are quiet. Would be interesting to hear what the issue is if anyone knows.
No probs, I'm on half term thank god;), but later on if I find the post I'll copy the link and I'll post it here, if I can find it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely the 2020 has now been superceded by the Vibe. Sometimes DSNs only have old devices around as testers. There may be an Animas rep working with your DSN who can show you a Vibe.

Also wasn't there a defect or recall on the 2020?

Reactions: 3 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thought that was the case Spiker and I'm sure that they were recalled due to the date only going up to 2015 and not bring rolled over, so they recalled them and replaced with Vibes. Their was a post I think on this forum, once I've got through my ironing I'm to go back and see if I can find it.

Reactions: 3 people