1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Disposable syringes

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by Wing Michael, May 20, 2022.

1. Wing Michael

Wing Michael · Newbie

Having had type 1 diabetes for many many years, I have been using disposable syringes for a considerable number of those years (it was glass syringes before then!).

When I needed to obtain a new prescription at Christmas for them, I discovered that there was a supply issue with them. So I reluctantly moved over to pre-filled pens. My experience of them is they are awful.

Anyway, at a review, the diabetic nurse has agreed to put the disposable syringes and vials of insulin back onto my prescription (yippeeeee!).

However, I find that there is still a supply issue with them!!

Is anyone else still using disposable syringes? What brand? What size? Is it a national pharmacy?

Any thoughts welcomed.

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have BD U-100 insulin syringes as a back up for my insulin pump.
    As they are only a back up I don't use them often so cannot comment on the supply.

Have you tried refillable pens? I don't know what problems you had with the pre-filled ones but I found them to be flimsy (and take up a lot of space in my fridge and terrible for the environment). I used the refillable pens for over 10 years prior to my pump and was happy with them. I only used the pre-filled ones for a short time when trialling a different insulin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jaywak

jaywak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Micheal can you tell us what problems you are having with the pre filled pens ? you must be having serious problems to prefer using syringes and vials !

4. xshtiek

xshtiek Type 2 · Member

I have to agree with you wrt. the disposable pens, especially the Humalog ones, I switched to the refillable type a while back and find that they are much better made, nicer to use, with no dribbling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use disposable syringes and vials. I have severe arthritis in my hands, which makes using what is referred to as an 'insulin pen' awkward and painful. The last time one was prescribed, I couldn't even take it apart to get the insulin cartridge in. I have never had a problem getting insulin syringes, but at the moment there seems to be a problem with supplies of something different every time I get a prescription. I live in NW England.

• Hug Hug x 2
  6. jaywak

jaywak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Now you mention it JMK I will say yes the button on my Semglee insulin pen can be a bit awkward to press so someone with arthritis in their hands would have a problem !

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook