Ditching Lantus

badmedisin

Hi!
I've been very interested in the Lantus discussions here. I've been feeling like he'll for years. Generally unwell, headaches, constantly exhausted, joint and muscle pain, and sometimes I suddenly come over so sleepy i was starting to think I had narcolepsy. Someone said it was like being poisoned, which I can identify strongly with.

It never occurred to me that Lantus might be the problem. I thought maybe it could be the after effects of glandular fever, which was how I celebrated the millenium! Such a party animal...

Anyway, I'm going to try changing my insulin. I have a scrip for porcine hypurin, and I'm quite eager to start as I have got my hopes up that I might stop feeling like the walking dead. The problem is that I'm having my shoulder operation next Wednesday. It's only a day case but I still have to fast from midnight. I take my lantus in the evening and it's usually more or less predictable. I'm concerned because lantus doesn't peak, but as far as I know the hypurin does. So I don't want to have a night hypo because they'll postpone my op if I have to treat a hypo after midnight.

So I was just wondering what any of you would do. Would you change over now or wait until after the operation?
Thanks!!

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Badmedisin,
"Someone said it was like being poisoned" That would have been Kewgirl and me :( .
Always find myself agreeing with Carbsrok on this forum recently and definately in this instance. Your new life can begin on Thursday :D
Wishing you all the best for your op next week, and with the insulin change.
Jus x

badmedisin

Thanks fir your advice! Waiting til afterwards seems like the sensible option so I'll do it that way. I was just excited by the prospect of eventually feeling a bit more normal and less awful. Like I said, it had never occurred to me that insulin could cause that kind of problems, but Reading your posts inspired me to try changing from lantus. Hopefully it'll work!
Thank you for your replies, it's great having people like you to give us sensible advice :)

badmedisin

Hmm. Just picked up my prescription. Am I right in thinking it should be the isophane hypurin for my background injection? They've given me the 30/70 mix but I think it said isophane on the scrip. I assume the mix contains some quick acting and isn't suitable for basal/ background? Good job I'm not starting til next week!
Also does the hypurin isophane last a few hours less than lantus? Is a split dose a better idea?
Thank you!

janabelle

Dislikes
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Bloomin' 'eck, that's a bit of a ****-up! I remember being on a human 30/70 mixture when I was first diagnosed, but found it far to difficult to manage and restricting, and was moved to a basal/bolus regime within weeks.
Isophane is your basal, most people find taking a split dose works better, mine is uneven-more in morn than eve. Neutral will replace your rapid-acting. Your pharmacist prob not used to dispensing animal insulin, hopefully you can get that sorted, at least you've got a bit of time :)
I'm so pleased you've come to the forum and hopefully changing insulin will have the same positive effect for you, as it's had on mine and many others lives. There's a lot of us, and the numbers will increase in time, I suspect. :(
There's quite a few "porkers" on this forum, so if you have any other queries we're all here to help anytime.
Best of luck with everything next week and look forward to hearing how you get on :)
Jus x

badmedisin

I checked the labels, it says isophane, as directed. So I think the pharmacists just didn't read it carefully. I'll get them to change it. I should have learnt by now! Previously they've accidentally given me humalog cartridges for a pen when I use syringes for that (since the time I realised I'd done 30 units of quick acting before bed as I'd picked up the wrong pen - good excuse to eat a ton of biscuits!), the wrong painkillers and some random antibiotics I didn't order. I guess they're just busy...

Are you two using novorapid? It's just occurred to me (I'm having a slow brain week) that humalog is also a human analogue (I guess the clue is in the name) and that maybe I should try changing that as well. Not sure whether it's safer to change one at a time or just go for both.

Yeah, I was on mixtard twice a day for years. It's so repressive when you have to have the same amount of carbs every day at the same time! It worked ok for my nan as she lived alone and was very set in her ways, but I found it awful as I never have the same timings two days running. And I really resented not being allowed to OD on roast potatoes at Xmas dinner :)

well, I'll get the insulin sorted and switch over in about a week then. The fact you're doing well gives me a lot of hope, which makes a really nice change for me! I'm looking forward to being a porker (as opposed to just a cakey piggy...)!

Thanks so much for all your help :)

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
Hi again,
You might be better to sort your basal Isophane dose before changing your humalog, then you can replace it with Neutral if you wish. I stayed on humalog for a further 6 months after changing Lantus. Since heard of people having similar probs with that too, so I'm glad I changed to Neutral.
I'm very grateful for the stable BG control I have now, a million miles away from the (lack of) control I suffered on Lantus. It doesn't work like that for everyone and it'll be trial and error to start with I imagine. Some people prefer bovine to porcine and some mix & match the two varieties.
nite nite x

nannybarbara

Whilst Lantus caused me a problem, it turned out that it was humalog that caused the worst of my problems. I've been feeling brilliant since I've been on hyperin porcine neutral and isophane. I split the isophane into two doses, 10 in the morning and 8 at night. Seems to work better for me than equal doses.

Barb

badmedisin

Thanks for the advice!

I went to change the insulin at the pharmacy today. That was a laugh, they tried to swap it for neutral and then bovine before finally finding porcine isophane on the computer. I know they're busy and I do sympathise, but really... :)

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
You should start a new thread "Ditching Your Pharmacy"! :lol:
Seriously though; I wonder how many elderly, visually impaired or blind people are dispensed the wrong medication by this busy pharmacy! :evil: Do u reckon all the staff on analogue insulins??? :lol:
Jus