Divalproex and Latuda effect on blood sugar

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I have recently been switched to Divalproex and Latuda from long-term lithium usage. I have noticed a significant rise in blood sugar levels with these drugs, e.g. waking up with 6.4, after the same insulin, same breakfast, same activity, a little more stress, the blood sugar rises to e.g. 9.8, and after small brunch (same as usual) to as high as 20. As I am still in the testing phase of this switch, I am wondering if I could raise my insulin the night before from 41 to say, 44 or more, as 43 did not change things much. From what I have read lithium actually lowers the blood sugar a bit, but *unfortunately* it is no longer an option for me after 41 yrs. on (too aggresively high dose treatment) .

So, my question is from anyone taking any meds increasing blood sugar 'is it helpful to simply increase the insulin too' and by how much.

Any hint will be useful. Thank you all.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please contact your diabetes nurse or doctor with this question.
We cannot give advice on dosing on this forum.

Reactions: lucylocket61

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently been switched to Divalproex and Latuda from long-term lithium usage. I have noticed a significant rise in blood sugar levels with these drugs, e.g. waking up with 6.4, after the same insulin, same breakfast, same activity, a little more stress, the blood sugar rises to e.g. 9.8, and after small brunch (same as usual) to as high as 20. As I am still in the testing phase of this switch, I am wondering if I could raise my insulin the night before from 41 to say, 44 or more, as 43 did not change things much. From what I have read lithium actually lowers the blood sugar a bit, but *unfortunately* it is no longer an option for me after 41 yrs. on (too aggresively high dose treatment) .

So, my question is from anyone taking any meds increasing blood sugar 'is it helpful to simply increase the insulin too' and by how much.

Any hint will be useful. Thank you all.
are you being followed by a psychiatrist for the latuda? please let themknow

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
are you being followed by a psychiatrist for the latuda? please let themknow
-- will do -- thank you for noticing