diverticulitis and type 2

bluehaze14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just been diagnosed with diviculitis I am Type 2 diabetic now on a low fibre diet no vegetable no fruit white bread white meat lost weight drinking only water is this common with diabetes? Very bland diet blood glucose is low 87-90 I live in Cyprus now so very hot swim most days any advice would be appreciated love ❤

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I have just been diagnosed with diviculitis I am Type 2 diabetic now on a low fibre diet no vegetable no fruit white bread white meat lost weight drinking only water is this common with diabetes? Very bland diet blood glucose is low 87-90 I live in Cyprus now so very hot swim most days any advice would be appreciated love ❤
I am on a high fibre diet with what's left of my colon. The lack of dietary fibre is what usually causes diverticular disease. Diverticulitis is an infection of diverticula and needs antibiotics/surgery and should not be confused with diverticulosis which just means you have diverticula (pouches) in your colon. I was also told to avoid small seeds (tomatoes etc) as these can get trapped in diverticula and cause infection. When you have diverticultis you will know it, cramps, colic and painful abdomen (usually left). Diverticulosis is usually symptomless and needs monitoring with diet and fluids. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been through the bowel screening program. I had four up close and embarrassing examinations of my colon over a period of eight years or so. At each session it is explained that most people of a certain age have diverticula and it is just a fact of life. The little ceramic model of your innards clearly shows the lumps on the colon where these occur. Whether or not a person gets diverticulitis is in the lap of the Gods just like getting appendicitis. I was given the impression that it was not all that common.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have diverticular disease and agree with @eddie1968 says - I have had 2 bouts of diverticulitis hospitalised both times on drip antibiotics and narrowly avoided an op both times - the first time was also when I got my T2 diagnosis. Also a couple of milder flare ups that I have managed to treat at home with antibiotics from the GP

During an attack it is best to avoid fibre until the infection has gone, but you have to balance this with controlling your blood sugar too - when mine flares up I eat smooth foods like scrambled egg, liquid soups and broths, plain poached chicken. Once I am back to normal I need a high fibre diet to keep me moving and eat loads of veggies, nuts seeds, burgen bread, in fact I have have a low carb healthy fats diet - there is nothing I avoid regarding my diverticular condition although I don't eat a lot of dairy as I'm not keen anyway but also can be inflammatory

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have diverticular disease and agree with @eddie1968 says - I have had 2 bouts of diverticulitis hospitalised both times on drip antibiotics and narrowly avoided an op both times - the first time was also when I got my T2 diagnosis. Also a couple of milder flare ups that I have managed to treat at home with antibiotics from the GP

During an attack it is best to avoid fibre until the infection has gone, but you have to balance this with controlling your blood sugar too - when mine flares up I eat smooth foods like scrambled egg, liquid soups and broths, plain poached chicken. Once I am back to normal I need a high fibre diet to keep me moving and eat loads of veggies, nuts seeds, burgen bread, in fact I have have a low carb healthy fats diet - there is nothing I avoid regarding my diverticular condition although I don't eat a lot of dairy as I'm not keen anyway but also can be inflammatory
I had diverticulitis and developed into a paracolic abscess and septicaemia. Emergency surgeries and a colostomy (now reversed) has left me with 42cm of colon instead of 3m. Now on plenty of meds to slow my bowel down as the short bit left me with chronic diarrhoea and temporary incontinence. Now not so bad. :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had diverticulitis and developed into a paracolic abscess and septicaemia. Emergency surgeries and a colostomy (now reversed) has left me with 42cm of colon instead of 3m. Now on plenty of meds to slow my bowel down as the short bit left me with chronic diarrhoea and temporary incontinence. Now not so bad. :)
Eww that's nasty - I was very very lucky avoiding it - just had what I thought was another bout - been told today that it wasn't my diverticular but I've developed an egg allergy (I suspected this as have been doing some elimination tests myself) I am gutted (excuse the pun) as I eat loads of eggs - seems I am ok with them in mixes such as cakes etc - which is comforting - NOT - but as for eating eggs as meal it's no more

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I can tolerate most foods well now. Diverticular disease is a bit of a lottery I think. :)

bluehaze14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks I was hospitalized for 3 days but I was so inflamed a coloncoscopy was too dangerous. I had a drip and didn't eat anything whilst in hospital had two lots of antibiotics should have had coloncoscopy on 25th July but still too inflamed. I am living on Rice Crispies,turkey sandwiches ice cream and water tried a small amount of veg and was ok also taking probiotics and coconut oil.Thanks for all the replies xxx

pusspins

I'm newly diagnosed as diabetic type 2, but have had diverticular disease for about 20 years now, with operations and multiple hospital stays.White flour and fruits or raw veggies in combination seem to set it off...since stopping eating white flour products I've only had one attack..now! During an attack, the only thing to do is stop eating for a couple of days, then slowly build up..clear soup, eggs, and up to now I have used instant potato powder. But as a diabetic I shouldn't....don't really know what to eat now! One thing is certain, diverticilitis can be extremely serious, so I guess I may have to tell my diabetes to go take a run till I get my intestines sorted out.