DKA five times in two months..

Gmmwtkd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, my name is Georgina and I’ve had diabetes since I was three (I am now twenty one). Up until November this year I’ve never been admitted to hospital due to diabetes apart from when I was diagnosed.. I’ve been into DKA five times since bonfire night despite taking all my medications as I’ve been advised.. just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their insulin not working or going into DKA despite doing insulin?

leahkian

Are you injecting or have you got a insulin pump, i have heard of people who need to change insulin as the body gets used to it and stops working.

Gmmwtkd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you under the active care of a consultant?

Yeah I see them constantly, the consultants are even at a loss as they don’t know what’s going on either.. I’m currently in hospital as I went into DKA two days ago.. I was put on a fixed rate insulin scale, my blood sugars regulated on that, so they moved me on to a sliding scale insulin rate and it stayed regulated... they eventually took me off that and my blood sugars have just gone up high again

Gmmwtkd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you injecting or have you got a insulin pump, i have heard of people who need to change insulin as the body gets used to it and stops working.

At the moment I inject, I am however waiting to get a pump! Should hopefully have one by the beginning of February. If you don’t mind me asking, are you using a pump or do you inject?

leahkian

Well i started on injections when i first got diabetes in 1979 and i was put on a pump when i was 31 i think but the first 5 months were a nightmare, so i change hospital's and it was sorted in 3 weeks. At the minute i am having a break from diabetes as in 2015 i had a pancreas and kidney transplant but with all the problems that the diabetes has caused over the year's the only thing i don't do is take insulin and do my BS as much as before. Even now i still get low blood sugars which feels like a hypo. I know it sounds great having a transplant but it is a 7 hour op and then you are in hospital about three weeks. my transplant went well both the kidney and pancreas are working well. The thing is once my BS were at a normal level for a long time the damage the diabetes caused came to light, in the first 6 months after the op i was in and out of hospital and in 2016 i had 62 appointments at different clinics and last years 67. The nerve damage can not be fixed and causes pain in my whole body that even the painkillers can only dull the pain, i also get a lidocaine infusion every 4-6 weeks which makes my life a bit easier for about 10 days. With having diabetes it makes you stronger to fight for the little things that people don't even think about, i am not saying i don't have down days because i do and i am at the stage after my transplant that i should have been at after 3 months but it is getting to be 3 years. Just before Christmas i had my 3 month check up with the transplant team and i asked them when would i be able to return to work and was told it would be a long time if ever. I am 41 and cannot go back to my old job as it involves heavy lifting and as i am in constant pain i would not know what days i would be able to work, plus as the team said how many people would employ me with all these problems and having to go to hospital at least once a week.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try asking your consultants if he/she thinks you have a high level of insulin resistance, if so, both Metformin and a very low carb diet may help. But I expect that if the issue was just "insulin resistance", then you would be needing a very high insulin dose to control BG but would not be getting DKA.

Reactions: Kevin259