1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DKA in type 2

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by Absxx, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Absxx

Absxx Type 2 · Active Member

Good morning I was recently in hospital with DKA and sepsis it really knocked me for 6. Has anyone else experienced DKA in type 2?

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I used to think my bg; meter was being friendly when it said "HI" to me when I tested. Then I got a new meter and it shouted KETONES at me, and I thought it was being very clever, I did not suffer DKA and felt fine, but GP had a hissy fit and threatened insulin. I am lucky since I am clearly still producing insulin so did not suffer the acid buildup, If you got DKA then it suggests that something interfered with your ability to produce insulin, and over a period of time.

Did you have some other infection or reaction going on at the time? Do you have a kidney issue? Some medications can induce pancreatitis, so it may need a change. DKA in a T2D does need a proper investigation and a watchful eye. Maybe get some urine test strips to check for ketones, or get access to a meter that measures the blood levels of ketones.

There may be a simple explanation, but get it checked since DKA proper is a significant risk.

3. ZedZeeZet

ZedZeeZet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yep, type 2, diagnosed because of DKA. It's not common but not quite as rare as we are led to believe.

4. Absxx

I had a dental abscess which went into my sinuses then got a virus on top of that (not Covid) I didn’t know I had to stop the empagliflozin which caused the DKA along with the infections

5. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

That would probably explain it. These meds are strongly associated with DKA events but not sepsis - that was probably the abscess. Not common, but can occur with lowish blood sugars around 10 mmol/l (ish) even in healthy people.

6. Absxx

Been given a blood testing kit that does ketones as well as my recent hba1c was 51 and I’m well controlled on metformin empagliflozin and semaglutide so they were surprised I went into DKA. Thanks for all the comments xx

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook