Type 1 DKA

trudds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a DKA episode when my bag was taken in a foreign country last week. I went to hospital there and was given six units of insulin then told to go to the pharmacy to get more, which they would not give. My husband managed to get me on a plane home however I collapsed at the uk airport and was rushed to hospital where I spent the next four days. I am home now but I feel scared even though I am taking all my meds as I should I feel the need to constantly check my bloods as I do not feel confident in what my body is telling me. I could tell for instance if my sugars where running high but I seem to have been left with a sore throat and a feeling in my mouth that I am high when I'm not. Could I please ask if any other members have had this feeling? I have been diabetic for 25 years and have never had this happen in all this time

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@trudds gosh, what a horrid experience. So sorry to hear this.

Be kind to yourself. I would say that testing lots would be a really good idea while your body settles down, and I would hope that in a few days you will start to get your high/low signs back. That said, I am often (very often!) caught out by for instance thinking I'm high when I'm in fact just thirsty, or I think I'm low simply because I'm hot and sweaty, so if I'm not feeling 'right' I will always, always, always test. I test very frequently in any case, very often simply for reassurance and confidence.

And I catch my body out frequently! I never quite trust how I'm feeling to translate it to an accurate number without testing. Even my husband often says 'I don't know if you're 2 or 12!'. Bless him! :banghead:

I haven't (yet) experienced DKA (thank goodness) and am sending you a big big hug.

:)

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The DKA episode has dented your confidence which is understandable @trudds , but I'm sure over the coming weeks your bg testing regime will return to normal and you'll feel less anxious.

Put it this way you've done well to go 25 years without a single episode and you couldn't help what happened to you when abroad, so don't let this incident get you down and try and put it behind you. Best wishes and take care.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know how you feel as I had a dka a couple of months ago and I am still trying to get everything back to normal and it was my fault for the dka not taking any insulin and my sugars were 22.0 mmol/l and I have just changed on to new insulin so it is going to be a little bit before I get back into it as they are a little high still and when I was in hospital I was there for the same amount of time and I just wanted to go home so that I could sort myself out there but I know that was the best place to be as I was vomiting and I couldn't do much so I just stayed in bed and my sugars eventually come down until I got home as I was put on potassium tablets and I was just sweating all the time and I wanted a cigarette and it was wet and I had to throw it away and get another one and I just slept for the rest of the day when I came home and the next two days but this dka done me in and I won't be doing what I did to get the last one that I do know

Reactions: trudds

trudds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
@trudds gosh, what a horrid experience. So sorry to hear this.

Be kind to yourself. I would say that testing lots would be a really good idea while your body settles down, and I would hope that in a few days you will start to get your high/low signs back. That said, I am often (very often!) caught out by for instance thinking I'm high when I'm in fact just thirsty, or I think I'm low simply because I'm hot and sweaty, so if I'm not feeling 'right' I will always, always, always test. I test very frequently in any case, very often simply for reassurance and confidence.

And I catch my body out frequently! I never quite trust how I'm feeling to translate it to an accurate number without testing. Even my husband often says 'I don't know if you're 2 or 12!'. Bless him! :banghead:

I haven't (yet) experienced DKA (thank goodness) and am sending you a big big hug.

:)
Thank you so much for your words this has really helped xx

trudds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I know how you feel as I had a dka a couple of months ago and I am still trying to get everything back to normal and it was my fault for the dka not taking any insulin and my sugars were 22.0 mmol/l and I have just changed on to new insulin so it is going to be a little bit before I get back into it as they are a little high still and when I was in hospital I was there for the same amount of time and I just wanted to go home so that I could sort myself out there but I know that was the best place to be as I was vomiting and I couldn't do much so I just stayed in bed and my sugars eventually come down until I got home as I was put on potassium tablets and I was just sweating all the time and I wanted a cigarette and it was wet and I had to throw it away and get another one and I just slept for the rest of the day when I came home and the next two days but this dka done me in and I won't be doing what I did to get the last one that I do know
I think like you I felt frustrated in hospital as they had me on an insulin glucose combo, which was for a good reason and it did save my life but the numbness I have now does worry me that it won't come back, but from what you have said I am moving in the right direction thank you

Reactions: Snapsy

trudds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
The DKA episode has dented your confidence which is understandable @trudds , but I'm sure over the coming weeks your bg testing regime will return to normal and you'll feel less anxious.

Put it this way you've done well to go 25 years without a single episode and you couldn't help what happened to you when abroad, so don't let this incident get you down and try and put it behind you. Best wishes and take care.
Thank you for your words, I have found them a great comfort xx