DLA for my thirteen year old son.

dansmum2609

Just wanted to know if anyone has any advice, I have just been told that my son diagnosed last September aged 12, now 13- that he no longer qualifies, although circumstances are not any different. They are looking at it again but if I am still refused I intend to appeal can anyone offer any help.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

maz62

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to know if anyone has any advice, I have just been told that my son diagnosed last September aged 12, now 13- that he no longer qualifies, although circumstances are not any different. They are looking at it again but if I am still refused I intend to appeal can anyone offer any help.
Hi there, just received the same news for my 16 year old son.. don't understand whats changed. is it to do with PIP replacing DLA? Or because he is now 16 he was diagnosed 2 years ago. he is still at school. Don't know if it is worth appealing any advice? regrads Maz x

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure about the answer to your question Dansmum - have you appealed?

Hi there, just received the same news for my 16 year old son.. don't understand whats changed. is it to do with PIP replacing DLA? Or because he is now 16 he was diagnosed 2 years ago. he is still at school. Don't know if it is worth appealing any advice? regrads Maz x

Hi maz62 welcome to the forum. :)

You are right it's because he has turned 16 and is now classes as an adult by the DLA, my son, not diabetic but has autism, when he turned 16 we had to make a new claim and he had to claim for himself not us claim as a parent. The form is different for adults than children.

You can fill in the form for him and if he is not capable of dealing with the claim himself you can get power of attorney by someone coming to see you and your son signing over to you, though I doubt they would do that for diabetes it's more for mental ability

Hope that helps :)

trevjones

Hi, I just wanted to add that your local Citizens Advice can be a great help with filling in these benefit forms and can often get a better result than an individual because they do this regularly and know all the "angles". They can also help with the appeal process.

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
I was granted Dla after a major hypo but in my case the diabetic nurse filled the forms out for me due to temporary memory loss I was suffering and injury after the hypo over the years I was turned down many times only to get it back on appeal I find the best way to complete the forms is complete thoroughness extra pages as necessary and inclusion of every single detail and problem and the exact level of help / care required never miss a single detail even if embarrassing to you as the more complete the information the better chance of getting Dla .

seanmorris1

Unfortunately their may not be anything you can do as they are re-assessing everyone on DLA but the best advice i could give you is check your area to see if you have a ' disability information centre' as when you appeal they can word it all correctly. Basically word it how DLA like it if you do
Not have one near you contact your local C.A.B . Also it's always a good idea to go see your local MP and get him on your side and ask him to write you a letter that you can send in with your appeal. One thing a lot of people make a mistake with is that they don't tell them what their day is like on the very worst day so instead when it says like what help do you need during the day you would say. You need constant supervision as you may have another hypo and not. Realise it and not be able to administer your insulin. The more you can tell them about your worst day the better you really do have to write down the thick of it. If you explain all of this to your MP I'm sure he can help you get it reinstated.
I wish you all the luck in getting it back they just don't realise they are turning down people who really need this DLA to help with their daily living.

lochnessy

I had to reapply for DLA for my son who's type 1 and he was awarded it as according to the information booklet it states ' if you look after your child for more than 1 hour per day you are entitled ' I was always advised to state that carb counting , helping through the night helps with the decision. Hope this helps anyone.