Type 2 DLVA, Type 2, and Glimepiride.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I have just started on Glimepiride 2mg a day, and have been told by the DSN to contact DVLA and let them know. She said that they only specifically mention needing to inform about insulin, but as Glimepiride has a similar effect I should let them know about this too.

My problem comes from somewhere in the form where it ask if I have 6/12 visual acuity. I am not 100% sure. I have an opticians appointment booked for 19th Jan (and haven't had my eyes tested in 4 years). My dilemma then is that I don't know 100% sure to put yes on the form and I am not getting my eyes tested for about 4 weeks.

As I see it, I have two options:
  1. Fill in the form to the best of my knowledge and then if things change after my eye test - fill in another one.
  2. Wait to fill in the form until I have had my eye test, but then I am delaying letting them know I am on Glimepiride.

I am not really sure what to do, but I am sure my eye test (and new glasses) will only improve my eyes and I do not believe my eyesight is bad apart from trying to read things really close (I can, but my varifocals now only help on the very lower section of them glasses which means I am really looking down my nose at any labels!).

Any advice? I am driving the family up from Bradford to Berwick upon Tweed next Saturday and am sure enough about my eyes to not worry about the journey (of course I will be testing my BS before and at 2 hour intervals and plan stops on the way), so just "not driving" isn't really an option, unless I believed my eyesight was too bad - and I don't believe it is.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting that HBA1C of 130 down to normal could effect your eyesight for a few weeks with temporary blurred vision. It is often suggested to members that they wait to change prescriptions until the blood glucose levels are settled down. Please speak to your optician about your diagnosis before your appointment if possible.

See the forum for temp blurred vision such as https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/blurred-vision-type-2.159290/

Sorry can't advise on what to say to DVLA.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the response Alison,

I've read this about blurred vision and haven't experienced this atm - although of course this could change. I guess asking anyone for advice on this is going to be problematic at best anyway - as people could feel responsible for what I may do if they give advice.

I think, as I believe my eyesight is not too bad with my glasses (at least long distance - my close up vision isn't great but I don't need to be able to read food can labels while driving!), I will send it off saying my eyesight is good enough. If after a new prescription they say it isn't good enough even with new prescription then I will inform them of a change. It does say "if you are unsure get advice from your optician" but it doesn't say "don't drive until you have that".

Your point about changes in my vision over the next few months is a good one. I have already pointed out to them when I made the appointment that I had just been diagnosed (the day before) with type 2. Problem is, I haven't had my eyes tested for 4 years+ and I know they are worse than they were back then so I don't really want to leave it months to have them tested again. I will speak to them though when I see them. If it means that my prescription will end up being a temporary one (or likely so) I will just make sure to get some cheap glasses until I know its more permanent I guess.