DM1 or DM2?

JANMALIK

Can anybody confirm that I am having DM1 or DM2? To help facilitate to answer properly, I would say that I am now 64 years of age and I was diagnozed diabetic in 1982. It means I am diabetic for the last 30 years. My doctor could not satisfy me either I have DM1 or DM2.
Moreover, my doctor has switched me from syringes insulin to NovoFlex 30 pen. My doctor suggested me the same amount of units of Humulin 70/30 I was taking before switching to NovoFlex. My readings of BS do not suggest that it is well under control. My question is whether NovoFlex 30 contains mixed insulin or not?
One more question, I have developed ED problem, all pills available in the market are not working any more. Any advice please?
Response from my friends on this forum will be highly appreciated. Most of the time response of forum friends is much more valuable and informative than an advice from a practicing doctor, because a doctor has a very limited time to talk to a patient, especially in hospitals.
Wish all of you have a good health.
Thanks - JANMALIK

Tricki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do not know the answer to whether you are type 1 or 2, those type 2s can help you there. Same for the ED problem

Could not find NovoFlex 30 on the internet - I presume It is an alternative name for the version in England - NovoMix 30 (which is often given in a pre filled pen called a FlexPen), in which case, yes it is a mixed insulin which is similar to the Humulin 70/30 in that it is a rapid acting insulin combined with an intermediate insulin in the same proportions.

One thing to note with the new insulin - it is one of the newest 'analogue' insulins, which means its action is different to Humulin - so it is likely to be quicker to act on your body, last for a different time, be absorbed in a different way. This is part of the reason why your blood sugar levels might be going out of control, I'd speak to your doctor or read up on how the different insulins work and if you need to change anything you are doing to make it easier for you.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
You becoming diabetic at the age of 34 would suggest that T2 is likely. If you were controlled by either diet or tablets to start with, this would confirm T2 (in my opinion).
The Novoflex is actually called NovoMix 30 Flexpen and is a 70/30 mixed insulin. Here's a link to a list of insulins and their uses, from diabetes.co.uk:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin-in-the-uk.html
As for the ED, I have used all the pills and had "little response" but I now inject using Caverject. This was very good at first, but it appears that the ED is becoming worse as time goes on and I need considerably more to obtain the required result. I believe that the Caverject is available in higher strengths so I probably need to visit the urology dept again to sort things out. Injecting may seem like a rather unpleasant thought but I can assure you that it is nowhere near as bad as it seems (and the activity that follows the injection will make any unpleasantness fade quickly :wink: )
Hope that answers some of your questions.