Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Nothing particularly wrong with those numbers. Starting number is fine. Minor spike of 1.6 and a (more or less acceptable) drop back.

You might be better using full fat mayo and checking but that is one SMALL part of the picture. You still need to test at waking (commonly called your fasting BS) and when you retire for the night. Same applies to all meals ...... hate to punish this point but you only know what foods do to you thru constant measurements, mixing up what you eat (for the sake of trying them out), recording it all and tracking the results.

This is not done in a day ..... it'll take a few weeks to work out what works out for YOU. WELL DONE on tackling this. Big credits for it.

Reactions: 2 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing particularly wrong with those numbers. Starting number is fine. Minor spike of 1.6 and a (more or less acceptable) drop back.

You might be better using full fat mayo and checking but that is one SMALL part of the picture. You still need to test at waking (commonly called your fasting BS) and when you retire for the night. Same applies to all meals ...... hate to punish this point but you only know what foods do to you thru constant measurements, mixing up what you eat (for the sake of trying them out), recording it all and tracking the results.

This is not done in a day ..... it'll take a few weeks to work out what works out for YOU. WELL DONE on tackling this. Big credits for it.

Thanks Mike does it look like I will be able to get by without medication or is that a stupid question (sorry you need to let me ask lots of stupid questions)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@rosserk

It is not a stupid question but it is also something where only your GP can advise. If you control your diet and record figures like that, my guess is you could. Put it this way .... I did.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Mike does it look like I will be able to get by without medication or is that a stupid question (sorry you need to let me ask lots of stupid questions)

I have so far as well. When I was told I was diabetic initially it was over the phone by my DN, she was telling me how she was going to put me on metformin, and the benefits it had. On my first visit she agreed to 'see how things went for 3 months' and then she would put me on metformin. That was last May, I know it's early days but so far no metformin - last hba1C was 5.5. So it's possible.

Reactions: 3 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

Just got back from my Doctors went armed with my blood sugar records. He didn't want to see them! He said the HbA1c was within the normal range and they don't look at anything else. He also said that a normal person can have blood sugars between 3.3 and they can go up to 12 and that would be within the normal range. the fact that I am drinking more is immaterial, he said try and stop drinking so much. He agreed Special K was likely to push up my blood sugars and even though I told him they remain high after 4 hours he didn't seem concerned. He also said he couldn't explain why I had a fasting blood sugar of 15.3 and a bedtime one of 24.5. Also the three sinus infections I have had in the last 8 weeks can be caused by high blood sugars in diabetics but as I am not diabetic there is likely to be another reason. He said he doesn't know why the other Doctor diagnosed diabetes or why there were traces of sugar in the urine sample, but they no longer test urine for diabetes so it was null and void. So there you have it! My question has been given a definitive answer. I don't have diabetes and its normal to have blood sugars above 11.1 and above after food.

Last edited by a moderator:

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have diabetes and its normal to have blood sugars above 11.1 and above after food.
Hi someone's wrong. "and its normal to have blood sugars above 11.1 and above after food" if it's normal to have Blood sugars at this level, then we would all (that's everybody) be diabetic, as the average on a HbA1c would most certainly be in the diabetic range! You have to find someone to give you a GTT (glucose tolerance test) even if you pay for it privately.
Neil

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi someone's wrong. "and its normal to have blood sugars above 11.1 and above after food" if it's normal to have Blood sugars at this level, then we would all (that's everybody) be diabetic, as the average on a HbA1c would most certainly be in the diabetic range! You have to find someone to give you a GTT (glucose tolerance test) even if you pay for it privately.
Neil

Neil I think I can upload my BS levels for the last 6 weeks not sure I will look would that offer up any clues? My doctor was adamant I did not have diabetes. Even though he didn't look at the readings. The other doctor did and didn't hesitate in his diagnosis. He said two readings of 11 + would confirm diabetes plus the presence of sugar in my urine sample. I am obviously happy with not having diabetes but confused by my readings and symptoms.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to take a picture of them and will add in parts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 386

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi everyone

Just got back from my Doctors went armed with my blood sugar records. He didn't want to see them! He said the HbA1c was within the normal range and they don't look at anything else. He also said that a normal person can have blood sugars between 3.3 and they can go up to 12 and that would be within the normal range. the fact that k am drinking more is immaterial, he said try and stop drinking so much. He agreed Special K was likely to push up my blood sugars and even though I told him they remain high after 4 hours he didn't seem concerned. He also said he couldn't explain why I had a fasting blood sugar of 15.3 and a bedtime one of 24.5. Also the three sinus infections I have had in the last 8 weeks can be caused by high blood sugars in diabetics but as I am not diabetic there is likely to be another reason. He sai he doesn't know why the other Doctor diagnosed diabetes or why there were traces of sugar in the urine sample, but they no longer test urine for diabetes so it was null and void. So there you have it! My question has been given a definitive answer. I don't have diabetes and its normal to have blood sugars above 11.1 and above after food.
Go get a second (or 4th in your case) opinion. One can have a "normal" HbA1c for a variety of reasons, yet have type 2 diabetes. Your home testing results sure seem to show you have diabetes. Someone without diabetes or some other serious health issue would never have a reading of 24.5 mmol/l.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I think there's one more I was on Metformin from the 15th to the 19th and they seem better during that period

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 358

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's today's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 378

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Go get a second (or 4th in your case) opinion. One can have a "normal" HbA1c for a variety of reasons, yet have type 2 diabetes. Your home testing results sure seem to show you have diabetes. Someone without diabetes or some other serious health issue would never have a reading of 24.5 mmol/l.

I think the night I got the 24.5 reading I had drunk a lot of alcohol, would that have raised them so high?

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They should be mmol/L the other must be the default on the application I was using. It says mmol/l on the metre. Have I done something's wrong? The numbers are correct for mmol/L I.e 10.5 mmol/L

Last edited by a moderator:

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They should be mmol/L the other must be the default on the application I was using. It says mmol/l on the metre. Have I done something's wrong?

No just confusing, is the software reading your meter correctly, do the figures on you meter, say the same on screen/chart.

Just thinking, if the Doctor saw those figures and mg/dl at the top on the list, it would be at least confusing and would be probably dismissed as being useless as none of the figures are anything close to an mg/dl reading. In mg/dl your a 12.5mmol/L would read 226mg/dl.

That's the American standard.

I think you have not convinced your Doctor, because you have had the wrong data info.
Neil

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the numbers on the monitor are the same as what I typed in. See above I didn't change the default settings but if the metre read 10.2 mmol/L I typed in 10.2 the software didn't change the values.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes the numbers on the monitor are the same as what I typed in. See above I didn't change the default settings but if the metre read 10.2 mmol/L I typed in 10.2 the software didn't change the values.
Well as I said Rosserk, I don't think that your doctor would have taken the figures seriously unless he was quite confident you were all on the same scale, sorry.

I notice that you classify yourself as Pre Diabetic, which from some of the numbers you are certainly there. GTT or another HbA1c, we cannot diagnose you.
Neil

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctor didn't look at the readings. I didn't know how to set the date and time to begin with but I have fixed that now. I've toggled back through the readings and taken a snap shot of a reading from the 24th March and the one from the 10th of March although the date and time were wrong that wouldn't affect the reading image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 351

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One with correct date and time!

Attachments

• image.jpg