Emski68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

I'm confused as to whether or not I'm diabetic.

I had an OGTT a few years back due to low blood sugar concerns. My fasting sugar was 4 something, then it dropped to 2.6 after 30mins after the drink, then came back up. Last year I had this test repeated. Fasting/starting sugar was 4 something again, then went over 11.1 but then came back below 7.8 by the 2 hour mark. I was told I definitely wasn't diabetic despite the high reading over 11.1 as it then dropped. I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia from the first OGTT a few years ago. However I have all the symptoms of diabetes- eating 3000+ cals per day and staying slim, drinking 3+ litres as I'm often thirsty, sometimes even after drinking, and so obv passing urine a lot, I'm tired all the time, have blurred vision at times and because of the reactive hypoglycaemia I have a meter and have had many readings in double figures. I had a recent lab glucose of 22mmol.
My questions are- am I diabetic? My hba1c has always been 33 (had it tested once a year for the last few years) however as I have symptoms of diabetes and many more than one casual glucose over 11.1 (which would be diagnostic from some guidelines, 2 of which were lab measurements), but with an ok hba1c and ok fasting glucose does this rule out the diabetes?
I'm confused, I'm 31, if I were 20 years younger I'd expect I'd be diagnosed with the symptoms and high lab glucose as type 1, if I were 20 years over and possibly overweight I'd expect I'd be diagnosed with type 2.
I still get hypos from the reactive hypoglycaemia so would this balance out the highs I also get on the hba1c? Can you have both conditions?
It seems to me that the reactive hypoglycaemia has almost exhausted my pancreas in that I used to get a burst of insulin response straight away-and drop low, now it's as though my first stage insulin response has failed and that's when I go high but my body will eventually catch up and throw out insulin eventually.
I've read a lot about this and wonder if this could be Lada?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
None of your diagnostic tests show diabetes, not even close. They can't all be wrong!

Do you have your own blood glucose meter, and do you test when you feel "off", before you eat and regularly after eating?

Please tell us what your typical daily menu is as we may be able to help you.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You were told by healthcare professional (doctor right?) that you are not diabetic. You know your insulin release system is a little screwed up with reactive hypoglycemia.

Emski68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your replies.

I generally eat low carb to help the RH. This works, however if I eat 'normally' (so,carbs!) I get high readings.
I wonder if my low carb diet is masking diabetes as I know a lot of diabetics do low carb/high fat to help with control.

I definitely know my insulin secretion is sure messed up!
In terms of diagnostics I see how they (fasting and hba1c) do indicate no diabetes however I don't understand how my sugars can get to 22 mmol without? Especially as I have most of the symptoms of diabetes.

Thank you again for your replies

Emski68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
And yes, I do have my own meter. This has shown readings of less than 2.1 (it doesn't show lower) to 17.
I forgot to mention that I take acarbose at times for the RH, which I know is an anti diabetic drug, so that may also mask any diabetes I fear