Do I have to eat regular meals

SianyG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello iv been Type one for 5 months my bloods are fine and always in range. Iv never been a regular eater and was wondering if I had to eat and inject regular if my blood sugars are not affected? Am I causing myself any damage? For example I work long hours and I’m not a breakfast person so I skip breakfast then maybe eat something mid day then I won’t eat again until late evening. And today I didn’t eat anything until about 3pm (packet of crisps) then I went out for lunch at 6pm and had a meal. Now I won’t eat again before bed unless I’m low then I’ll have a biscuit. I find it hard to force myself to eat and I know it’s not good to do this even without diabetes but I just wanted to know if I’m causing myself harm later on in life? My bloods are between 4 and 8 haven’t had any hypos since iv stopped useing my novorapid. And I don’t go high. Thank you

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @SianyG
in my opinion -- you are doing what works for you

I also neglect to eat breakfast and I find I keep my bloods stable with this routine.

first meal for me is normally either scrambled eggs and toast at 11am -- or lunch at 12pm to 12:30pm

I haven't eaten brekkie for about 30 years and I still seem ok --
I do eat a lot of veg at evening meal every day to assist in getting my input of healthy type food
( normally 4 veg )

Reactions: SianyG

morpheus123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I normally would side on caution with skipping meals as it's essential to keep sugars in range. However I have never personally been able to skip meals. One thing I would say is to have a chat with your diabetes team and get some info off them. A good team will always look to work towards a solution to what's best for you

Mike

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
We're all different, I personally often skip breakfast and remain ok, probably just worth checking BGs a little more regularly when skipping just to be on the safe side and see if it works for you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SianyG ,

I'm a breakfast skipper... Just can't eat that early... (Or at least till late morning, then it's bunch till supper.) The only thing I do regular? Is my basal. (Long acting Lantus.)

What insulin regime are you on?

SianyG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you all. I take 24 units of lantus 6pm everyday. I take novorapid with food (if I need to) but I normally eat when my bloods are around 5 and I’m not a big eater so iv been avoiding my novorapid and my bloods been around 8 at highest after food as I do eat low carb unless on an occasion when I go out with friends for meals etc then I’ll always take my novorapid if I know I’ll be eatting a load of carbs :)