Do I need to self test?

sarah d

just recently been diagnosed on Metformin 500mg 4 times a day and feel much better apart from some tiredness which I guess is normal,
the nurse has said I don't need to test myself, if she still says this can I get the monitor and strips myself or is it no good unless a HCP is interpreting results.
Have found in last few days that I can't handle big meals or lots of carbs is this normal?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi sarah d , sadly in some areas nurses are not giving free blood glucose testing kits anymore and are advising newly diagnosed type2's they dont need to test.
However if you can get your own monitor and strips it really is to your advantage to do so.
Then you can test upon waking and after meals 2-4hrs after eating, and get to see where your levels hit and sit at.
You can do this independent of your nurse and HCP for your own knowledge.
Yes it is normal to find slight changes to your appetite and digestive system when starting the metformin.
Often the case when starting with this drug, so dont worry.
Ask any questions you feel/need to, someone will soon help and support you along.
Anna.x :D

Katstodian

Hey Sarah,

I'm also somewhat newly diagnosed, and speaking to a nurse quite recently, she gave me exactly the opposite advice (though, keeping in mind that I'm not on any meds yet, but dealing with it through diet and exercise so far.)

She applauded me for having gotten my own testing kit and suggested that if I didn't want to do regular tests every day, to then atleast test in specific situations, to see how I react to things: Like if you've slept less than usual or badly, test yourself to see if it spikes your levels. If you have alcohol with your dinner. Before and after exercising. The day after a lot of exercise. If you space your meals out more than usual, see if it has an effect. And so on and so forth.

One thing is to have your average numbers tested and interpreted, but another thing is the knowledge you can have in your every day life of how you react to things etc, which I personally really appreciate.

It's completely up to you, of course. I would just suggest to have a few months at least where you get used to your own reactions etc, so that it can eventually become second nature.

I recently checked online to see if my boyfriend could buy testing kits in the UK cheaper than here in Denmark and bring them to me, so I know that there are some available at http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/blood-testing-s450.html, where you don't need a perscription or reference for it. I'm sure there are other ways as well, though :)

Also - to your second question, I've found the same thing, actually. I've cut down on carbs a little and started spreading them out throughout my day, instead of doing what is 'normal' and having a carb heavy evening meal. It helps me feel full and have more energy during the day, and also prevents a late night spike. In my case, atleast. But that's probably something you could find out for your self and tweak with personal testings. :)

Best of luck with everything!

// Kat

hallii

Hello Sarah, from what has been posted you can see that testing is a useful tool in managing your T2.

However, it is of little use unless you keep records of what you eat, time of day and results.

You can then work out what you can eat (we all vary) and when, some of us find we can eat certain foods in the PM but not in the AM for istance.

Your DSN might be a bit more sympathetic to giving out strips if you present the resulting chart.

Eating large amounts of carbs at any meal is not a good idea, try and limit you carb intake to maybe 30gms at each meal; I manage (and so do lots of others) on much less than this, but it would be a start and would help bring your BGs down.

With T2 it is up to you to manage your condition on a day to day basis, so you need to be proactive and involve yourself with decisions regarding treatment and how you will acheive suitable control.

Your doc. and DSN are there to help, but do not take your eye "off the ball" so to speak.

Testing is the most important tool at my disposal, without it I could not manage to keep my BGs under control, how the docs /DSNs expect us to know what we can eat without strips is beyond me.

If you have to buy them (I do) try any of the manufacturers for a freebie, they usually give them away. Then register with a chemist for VAT free strips ( I use Lloyds and pay £12 for 50).

To interpret the test results isn't rocket science! HCP s can do it and so can we T2s! It's simple, test about 2 hours after eating and see if you Bgs have gone up beyond what you would like (I aim for less than 8) if they have either don't eat that food again or reduce the amount. Simples! Throw in a few fasting (morning) tests as well, the lower the better (maybe 6 or so) but we can't all get them that low (me for instance) because of the way our body works.

So, listen to the HCPs, take any good advice, but most importantly, look after yourself.

H

H

goldfish_21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just had a quick look on lloyds website following halii's post as I'm on the lookout for cheap testing strips at the moment and they seem to have a rather good offer on at the moment for bg test meters. The Accuckeck Aviva is on special offer at £7 (previously £15.95), but it is also in their 'buy one get two free' selection. Yes, that's right, not buy one get one free, buy one get TWO free. I tried putting three in the basket to see what would happen and it gives you all three for £7, plus £3.95 p&p on top of that.

I already have an accuckeck aviva meter, and it's really easy to use. I've never used Lloyds online though, so can't give a personal recommendation, but this seems to be a bargain for anyone looking for a meter. You just have to remeber that the real cost is in the test strip, but if you can get them from lloyds VAT free for £12 ish for 50 as a previous tester has stated, this seems like a reasonable option. The only place I've found cheaper so far is ebay.

Vicky

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
Seeing the reference to charts, because of the impact of the dawn phenomenen can I recommend if you keep a spreadsheet keep the morning and evening figures in different columns then you can see how evenings go up and down distinct from mornings. My doctor and nurse were impressed that they could see the differences where my morning readings were pretty consistent with evening even if they were 2-3 above the evening readings. As others say you may even drop the morning ones if they are misleading.
Regards
Jeremy

tomzak

hallii, how do you register at a chemist for VAT free strips. Can you do it online or do you have to do it at a high street chemist. Do only Lloyds do VAT free strips?

Thanks

hallii

Go to the HM Revenue and Customs website
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... ownloadopt

and dowload this form:-

10.1 Eligibility declaration by a disabled
person
Please note there are penalties for making false declarations
Customer
If you are in any doubt as to whether you are eligible to receive goods or services
zero-rated for VAT you should consult Notice 701/7 VAT reliefs for disabled people or
contact our National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000 before signing the
declaration.
I (full name) ..............................................................................
of (address) ..............................................................................
..................................................................................................
declare that:
• I am chronically sick or have a disabling condition by reason of:
(give full and specific description of your condition); and that
• I am receiving from: (name and address of supplier)
* the following goods which are being supplied to me for
domestic or my personal use:
(description of goods)
* the following services to adapt goods to suit my condition:
(description of services and goods)
* the following services of installation, repair or
maintenance of goods:
(description of services and goods)
* the following alterations to my private residence:
(description of alteration)
* the services of monitoring a personal alarm call system
and I claim relief from value added tax.
................................................................................ (Signature)
........................................................................................ (Date)
Supplier
I (full name) ..................................................................................

Fillit in and take it with you.

H