Do I need to take Metformin after a low carb meal?

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Hi. I suffer the common side effect of '30 second warnings' as a result of taking Metformin. I have come to the conclusion that this generally happens if I have eaten well (low carb). If I have a poor meal (high carb) then I don't seem to be affected. So the result of eating a type 2 friendly diet is that I am punished by having to stay close to a toilet.

My GP would have me take Metformin 3 times a day after a meal. My question is, if I don't consume any, or few, carbs, do I need to take the Metformin. For instance if I had smoked haddock and scrambled eggs for breakfast is the Metformin actually doing anything for me? If I went all day on minimal carbs could I simply not take any Metformin that day. If I had a bad meal then take Metformin.

I know these are questions that I should be asking my GP but I'm sure the answer would simply be, just take you meds there's a good lad.

BTW I'm on the slow release Metformin but that hasn't helped significantly.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Alan

M

Member496333

Metformin works cumulatively over time rather than blunting blood glucose per meal per dose, so whether or not the meal contains carbohydrate is probably largely irrelevant in the moment. The official answer of course is that you should dose exactly as per your doctor instructions, but if you’re eating low carb as a habit then you may be surprised how well you can do without it entirely or reduce the dose. Only after consulting with a medical professional of course…

Reactions: KK123

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I suffer the common side effect of '30 second warnings' as a result of taking Metformin. I have come to the conclusion that this generally happens if I have eaten well (low carb). If I have a poor meal (high carb) then I don't seem to be affected. So the result of eating a type 2 friendly diet is that I am punished by having to stay close to a toilet.

My GP would have me take Metformin 3 times a day after a meal. My question is, if I don't consume any, or few, carbs, do I need to take the Metformin. For instance if I had smoked haddock and scrambled eggs for breakfast is the Metformin actually doing anything for me? If I went all day on minimal carbs could I simply not take any Metformin that day. If I had a bad meal then take Metformin.

I know these are questions that I should be asking my GP but I'm sure the answer would simply be, just take you meds there's a good lad.

BTW I'm on the slow release Metformin but that hasn't helped significantly.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Alan
I don’t see any difference in my blood sugars. I take just one a day as I can only tolerate one. I wonder if it doesn’t do anything why take it but then my nurse was going on about it helping and safeguarding your heart. X

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I don’t see any difference in my blood sugars. I take just one a day as I can only tolerate one. I wonder if it doesn’t do anything why take it but then my nurse was going on about it helping and safeguarding your heart. X

You wouldn't normally expect to see an obvious reaction during a day.
The difference should be seen when you have an HbA1c.
Long term impact.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
You wouldn't normally expect to see an obvious reaction during a day.
The difference should be seen when you have an HbA1c.
Long term impact.
Ah. Really? My bloods are still 5/6 in the morning and still 7’s 2 hrs after sometimes higher. I expected to see 5’s. x. Thank you.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are consistently low carb then you could expect your post meal spikes to reduce, but how long this takes partly depends on how high you've been running and for how long.
If you only stick to low carb part of the day then I'd expect figures to be less easy to read - but regular mapping of BS against carb intake should help.
There are other things that might cause spikes occasionally, eg a fever or extra stress.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah. Really? My bloods are still 5/6 in the morning and still 7’s 2 hrs after sometimes higher. I expected to see 5’s. x. Thank you.

Metformin isn't a magic bullet.
It slows the uptake of carbohydrates from the gut and slows the release of glucose from the liver.
However you have to work with it to gain the benefits.
It is often quite a long road to get your BG where you want it, but worth the effort.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I am, thankfully, very tolerant of Metformin but on the few occasions when I have had problems it seems to have been after a higher carbohydrate meal.

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
I am, thankfully, very tolerant of Metformin but on the few occasions when I have had problems it seems to have been after a higher carbohydrate meal.
For me it seems to be the opposite. The better I eat the worse the side effects.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Metformin isn't a magic bullet.
It slows the uptake of carbohydrates from the gut and slows the release of glucose from the liver.
However you have to work with it to gain the benefits.
It is often quite a long road to get your BG where you want it, but worth the effort.
Thank you. Encouraging. X

Reactions: Iswole