1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Do I tell?

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Nausicaa, Sep 23, 2017.

1. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I Think you are being optimistic firstly that they have a anything more than a Nominal First Aider and that if they have had training at all it would have included any training on diabetes and Hypos I would follow the actions of a previous poster and print of directions of how to deal with Hypos and make sure a copy is attached to Your Personnel File and given to any first aiders and make sure your immediate Work colleagues know what to do and also that all first aid boxes have detail and glucose tablets clearly marked if required with your name. I was a trained first aider by St John Ambulance (No mention of diabetes.) Better to be safe
    than sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Seems perfectly sound advice.

The last time I did a First Aid at Work course it included a brief overview of diabetic issues and what to do in the event of someone having a hypo. In the UK it's normally a legal requirement to have a designated and trained first aider in all work places, although the degree of training will depend on the number of employees and the degree of risk involved in the work being undertaken.

3. Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've already arranged it. Got a confirmed email
    thanks and yeah, I need to fill out more forms including medical.
    as i've said i'm not nervous much about the interview it's more getting there on time because of the trains and we've been talking about preparing for interviews at college etc..

• Like Like x 1
  4. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Employers’ legal duties

The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981 require employers to provide adequate and appropriate equipment, facilities and personnel to ensure their employees receive immediate attention if they are injured or taken ill at work. These Regulations apply to all workplaces including those with less than five employees and to the self-employed.

What is ‘adequate and appropriate’ will depend on the circumstances in the workplace. This includes whether trained first-aiders are needed, what should be included in a first-aid box and if a first-aid room is required. Employers should carry out an assessment of first-aid needs to determine what to provide.
    I would argue that the words Adequate and appropriate may force Larger employers to take some measures whilst employers like Pet Shops may be advised by their Solicitors to only provide the minimum because these type of words mean a goo Barrister could drive a double Decker through the loopholes

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook