Do I tell?

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
occasionally have a hypo, explain what happens and what they might need to do, offer to talk it through with their first aider (who will have been trained about it anyway

I Think you are being optimistic firstly that they have a anything more than a Nominal First Aider and that if they have had training at all it would have included any training on diabetes and Hypos I would follow the actions of a previous poster and print of directions of how to deal with Hypos and make sure a copy is attached to Your Personnel File and given to any first aiders and make sure your immediate Work colleagues know what to do and also that all first aid boxes have detail and glucose tablets clearly marked if required with your name. I was a trained first aider by St John Ambulance (No mention of diabetes.) Better to be safe
than sorry.

Reactions: jay hay-char

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems perfectly sound advice.

The last time I did a First Aid at Work course it included a brief overview of diabetic issues and what to do in the event of someone having a hypo. In the UK it's normally a legal requirement to have a designated and trained first aider in all work places, although the degree of training will depend on the number of employees and the degree of risk involved in the work being undertaken.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
It's very much a personal choice. I would tell them about your diabetes, because if you don't tell them, and they subsequently find out (which they almost certainly will), they may think you've been dishonest. That's the last thing you want when you're working in a shop and - presumably - handling money. Similarly, if you have a hypo and you're going to be late for the interview, I'd let them know about it and explain why. That's far less likely to prejudice them against you than if you turn up late without any explanation.

When you go for interview, I'd just say to them that you need to explain that you have Type 1 Diabetes, that generally speaking it doesn't prevent you doing anything, but that you need to check your bloods from time to time and sometimes inject insulin (or are you on a pump?) for which you'll need a bit of privacy, but that in general it doesn't prevent you from leading a perfectly normal life. Maybe also explain that you may occasionally have a hypo, explain what happens and what they might need to do, offer to talk it through with their first aider (who will have been trained about it anyway), etc. I would say that the more you make it clear that you have thought it through, and tried to inform them about what they need to know, the more likely they are to be impressed by you. It's also clear from some of your previous posts that you love animals, and that's got to be important as well, I'd say :)

Before all this, you need to ring them up and arrange the interview, so get on and do that :) Good luck.
I've already arranged it. Got a confirmed email
thanks and yeah, I need to fill out more forms including medical.
as i've said i'm not nervous much about the interview it's more getting there on time because of the trains and we've been talking about preparing for interviews at college etc..

Reactions: jay hay-char

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In the UK it's normally a legal requirement to have a designated and trained first aider in all work places, although the degree of training will depend on the number of employees and the degree of risk involved in the work being undertaken.

Employers’ legal duties

The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981 require employers to provide adequate and appropriate equipment, facilities and personnel to ensure their employees receive immediate attention if they are injured or taken ill at work. These Regulations apply to all workplaces including those with less than five employees and to the self-employed.

What is ‘adequate and appropriate’ will depend on the circumstances in the workplace. This includes whether trained first-aiders are needed, what should be included in a first-aid box and if a first-aid room is required. Employers should carry out an assessment of first-aid needs to determine what to provide.
I would argue that the words Adequate and appropriate may force Larger employers to take some measures whilst employers like Pet Shops may be advised by their Solicitors to only provide the minimum because these type of words mean a goo Barrister could drive a double Decker through the loopholes