Do larger than ususal doses effect release of insulin?

SB2013Pump

I have suddenly had unexplained highs all evening and now mild ketones.
I started at 6.8 before my evening meal.
My meal was a lot larger than usual so I injected a mich higher dose that I usually do (10 units)
I am very sensitive to insulin so my BI is only 15 units a day

Since the meal I have been sky high (18+) and now developing mild ketones,
so I am on the 2 hour regime of checking and correcting

So far I have:
- checked that I had injectied (I have an insulcheck on my pen)
- changed all my insulins over (even though according to the labels I put on them they are not more than 28 days out of the fridge)
- checked that there is not a lump where I injected which might have impeded the take up of insulin
Any other ideas?

I do not feel ill apart from feeling rough from being high
My control is usually very good and I am running out of ideas and seem to be rising rather than falling

Is there any way that taking a larger dose of insulin than usual could limit the uptake of the insulin?
Any other ideas?

elainechi

lm sure someone will give you a posible reason......but sometimes a fatty carby meal can take ages for yhe insulin to work and thus you get high bs then later they shoot down...not sure why!!!

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
Larger does will be absorbed slightly slower unit for unit than smaller doses. However my guess would be you are coming down with a cold or flu.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did your levels return to normal, or are you still high this morning?

What did you eat?

Hope you okay
Angie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As a suggestion for future reference try splitting the dose and injecting in different sites, I'm not going to say it will work but may be worth a try.

It may well be that the insulin didn't absorb properly or you miss calculated the carb content of your food, it can also be the case that your starting with a cold or flu and have yet to get the symptoms, either way I hope all is well today :)

SB2013Pump

Thanks for all the helpful ideas

I was back to normal (6.5) this morning after two correction doses in the night.
But its lunchtime I am high again, even thought I had my normal breakfast and normal dose, so I know that there is no problem with Carb counting or anything else. Some sniffles so perhaps it is an iminent cold. Aren't we lucky to get the early warngin signs. I shall monitor and up the basal if high again this evening.

With recent retirement every day is now different so it is difficult to isolate the changes that happen.
I am usually on target or no more than about 8 morning and lunchtime, not so good at bedtime as the evening meals are abit more fatty on occassions, and if we eat late there is active insulin when I go to bed. I know that it would all be solved if I just ate the same every day and had no fat, but this is life.

However I know that I am not a robot so I shall just have to keep working on it. We have recently tried some of the ideas from think Like pancreas fro reducing after meal highs. So now I inject a guess bolus about 20 min before meal (assuming that I am not below target) and we walk for 30 minutes after the meal. I just have to know when we eat whether the walk will win or we give in to a bit of a lazier approach (but then Lewis and Borgen have finished now so less excuses now.

Thanks again

Sue

SB2013Pump

Hello all

The levels were up and down again yesterday and now finally the cold has arrived, as suggested by a couple of you.
So I have upped the basal rate a bit and all is level again. Also just got my lowest HbA1c back fro ages so feeling a lot better even if a bit bunged up.

Thanks for all the ideas and I shall definietly consider splitting bolus, especially as once on a pump I can programme it to do that for me. I foudn with MDI I planned to do that and then forgot so abandoned the attempts. hopefully on a pump it will prove to be more reliable, or at least I will

Sue