do other people

jode72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I am Type 2 on Metformin gliclazide and simvastatin was just wondering if other people get achy feet or pain in the toes I always seem to have restless feet nowadays my sugars are generally quite high as oppossed to low and thats with all the meds and a careful diet, not to mention the tiredness gets to about 3pm and I could sleep for England !!! And my vision has all of a sudden got worse I have now had to purchase reading glasses as I can't focus properly on small print (well actually quite big print too ) does any one else have this or is it really my body trying to tell me I am fast approaching 45 !!

And metformin ....the side affects are supposed to wear of right ...I have lots of good days but at least one day a week I have a bad day when my stomach is painful and going anywhere without toilets is not an option days when I can eat an apple and end up with cronic diarrea (or however that is spelt!!!) I tried at one point not taking the metformin as it is so unpleasent for that one day but my Blood sugars just shot up to 28 + and I felt even worse than I do sat on a loo all day lol

Just wanna know it's not just me none of my friends are diabetic so have no one to compare the notes with, and when I talk to my nurse about my feet etc it's almost like she just wants to pat me on the head say there there and send me away and doesn't seem to think it is relevant would be nice to tell her it is and can we now do something about it it is very very painful !!!

Anyhow thanks for listening I feel better now I got that off my chest !!

Look forward to your replies

Jo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your high bg levels could well be the reason why you have problems with your feet, also if these problems have only come about since starting on the statin you should mention this to your gp, they may stop it or change you over to an alternative statin.

The vision problem is a classic symptom of high bg, when levels are raised the lens of the eyes swell and this makes vision blurry, rather than go back and see your diabetes nurse why not book a appointment with your gp and get a check-up and explain all your problems to them.

Good luck!!!

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@jode72 Jo, tell us more about your "careful diet". What are you eating, what sort of plan or advice are you following? You should be able to bring those sugar levels right down and sort out some of your problems.
Sally

Reactions: 2 people

Adele99

What does your diabetic nurse think about your high blood sugar levels despite your careful diet and medication. Because something doesn't seem right here. Is it possible to speak to another diabetic nurse?

If you're to avoid the long term complications caused by raised blood sugars , something is going to have to be changed in either your medication, your diet or your lifestyle. Don't ignore these symptoms as they won't resolve without some action being taken.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have to get your bg within range. It sounds like you are getting complications from high sugar
Time to cut your carbs down and more meds if diet doesn't bring it down enough
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

jode72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all thanks for the replies - I tend to stick to low carb low fat diet if I eat carbs it tends to be the complex ones ie wholemeal and brown, porrige oats etc don't take sugar in anything even avoid sugary fruit for the most part and don't drink alcohol (a hypo after 4 glasses of wine put me off of drinking !!!) I try and watch my intakes however like anyone I do have my bad moments!! My nurse has told me that I will end up injecting sooner rather than later, generally she is really nice and helpful but when I point out that I am almost always sugar high she doesn't seem that worried as a couple of the blood tests I had where really Low and a couple really high so guess what I come out average I did point out that this isn't quite right as I was one extreme to the other and of course it averages out to 'normal range' did my BG last night (pre meds) 9.1 and on waking was still 9.1 is this a good thing ???

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It is easy for your nurse not to be worried about your results because they ain't HER feet!

If I were you, I would check out the link that Jack posted above :)

jode72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jack412 I had a look at the link and it appears to be advising LCHF diet - unfortunately I would not be able to follow this I had my gallbladder removed so anything high fat makes me very ill as my body can not process fat :-(, that was an interesting time of life diagnosed diabetic and gallstones at the same time so had to eat because of the diabetes and couldn't eat because of the pain !!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
can take a GB salt? But If you can't do lchf it might be time you went onto jabs
Priority has to be to get your bg down

jode72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wow just read up on it I never even knew about it thank you Jack412 appriciate that bit of knowledge

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jode72
You need to get your sugar sorted as I had the same problem with mine up over 33.4 down to 3.2 but most of the time high teens or low twenties, doctors would not listen this went on for years until I bought a meter myself and printed of the readings from downloading the readings on to the pc it was only then that they took notice of what I was saying that and the fact I took an overdose, I now after 17 years of being diabetic (first 10 years diet controlled) have neuropathy in both feet and hands and pre-proliferative retinopathy which I’m need laser surgery for all due to having high blood sugar for so many years, next you go to see the doctor refuse to leave until they do something about it and help you sort it out

jode72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the sad thing is i have a meter and the nurse barely checks it so i am now over the next few weeks testing like mad at all different times and will take it to the gp instead

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can connect it to your Pc and print off the log sheet to take with you and give her she can see at a glance what your levels have been