Do the cravings ever stop?

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been keto for 15 months now and have lost 5 stone. Since Jan 20 I have been sweetener free too which has stopped my migraines I had them 15 to 18 times a month. I fast or eat 18:6 or 20:4. I thought that I had got through all of the cravings and was doing OK.
Enter COVID-19 I am working from home and find myself fixated on Hot cross buns, chip butties and chocolate amongst other things. Fortunately there aren't any such foods in the house so I can't eat them and wreck my progress. My sugars are stable and Hba1c in March was 34.
Are others finding that this is causing them to crave things?

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I have been keto for 15 months now and have lost 5 stone. Since Jan 20 I have been sweetener free too which has stopped my migraines I had them 15 to 18 times a month. I fast or eat 18:6 or 20:4. I thought that I had got through all of the cravings and was doing OK.
Enter COVID-19 I am working from home and find myself fixated on Hot cross buns, chip butties and chocolate amongst other things. Fortunately there aren't any such foods in the house so I can't eat them and wreck my progress. My sugars are stable and Hba1c in March was 34.

To answer your question, no, but it took time for that to completely go away and I just think it's a part of the whole addiction to glucose. It takes time for your system to get over years or decades of eating stuff that causes the addiction. How long it takes seems to vary from person to person.

BTW: You've made some stunning progress. Big thumbs up to you. ;)

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Stress and anxiety can stimulate cravings for carbs. Also fat cells release hormones that stimulate appetite, so if you were really overweight those empty fat cells are just begging to be filled. So your hunger may be the result of a double whammy. Sad news it takes 10 years for those extra fat cells to die off.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I know how disappointing it feels to have done so well for so long, and to suddenly find yourself feeling as you did when you first started to control your diet. It doesn't matter about all the things you have learned, - you want that biscuit/ bread/ chocolate/ hot cross bun. I find it happens to me when I have some sort of emotional upset, but I agree with Antechinus - there are "active" fat cells that pump out hormones. You will get through this sticky patch. It might help to try some new recipes in case you've got into a bit of a food rut. I have found lots of lovely new foods to try and lots of nice low carb snacks, both fron recipes online and in books. The only other comfort I can add, is that I found that these craving intervals grew less intense and further apart over time. If this is your first bad patch, you have done extremely well, and hopefully it will be some time before you experience another.

Reactions: jmays1973

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I will always crave sugary things! But have to say if I’m tired and not slept well I really notice I want a sugar hit far more. Even though I know it be worst thing and counter productive!
That’s amazing you’ve seen a relief in migraines. Think not having them in house is wise move, nuts olives good as a nibble, or square dark chocolate. I have this as a treat, won’t send levels soaring and feels like I can be naughty with something! It’s a strange time at the moment, you may be more stressed than realise, hence cravings.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I suspect it is a direct reaction to Covid, we all start to feel darn it (trying to keep it clean), and then go into some sort of self destruct mode! For some people that may be a relapse into drugs/alcohol or whatever they have given up and for some....carbs. x

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine haven’t in 10 years but I still don’t eat them just sniff my hubby’s plate now and then lol, to be serious if I feel I’m going to give in I try and find a keto friendly snack or replacement but it’s a battle of will sometimes

Reactions: KK123 and SaskiaKC