Do we need a Ketosis sticky?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've just been chasing round looking for details of ketone levels when in dietary ketosis.

Eventually I found two things:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-...06+2014+T2s+not+on+T2T+Program+++Type+is+null

"
I am diabetic and my ketone test is positive, what should I do?
If the test shows low levels of ketones, under 0.6 mmol/L, you needn’t take any action.

If the test is above 0.6 mmol/L it is advisable to test again within an hour to see if the ketone level is rising.

If you record a ketone level above 1.5 mmol/L you should contact your healthcare team, and explain the situation to them.

Should the tests show very small amounts of ketones take the following actions:

• Drink water every hour, and continue testing every three hours.
  • If your ketone levels do not fall after two tests contact your healthcare team.
  • If the test shows moderate or high ketone numbers then telephone your doctor at once, and drink water.
"

contrasted with

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/11/30/Ketosis-Measuring-Ketones

which says

"
Ketosis vs. Ketoacidosis
Ketosis is a state at which your body produces ketones in the liver, shifting the body's metabolism away from glucose and towards fat utilization. The presence of ketones in your body, which is indicative of lipolysis, is a definite proof of ketosis. According to Volek and Phinney in their best-selling book "The Art and Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living", nutritional ketosis is defined by serum ketones ranging from 0.5 to 3.0 mM.
"

and

"While nutritional ketosis is perfectly safe, ketoacidosis is an indicator of serious health problems. Ketoacidosis only occurs in type 1 diabetics and alcoholics and has nothing to do with nutritional ketosis. The level of ketones in ketoacidosis are 3-5 times higher than in ketosis resulting from a ketogenic diet."

So here we have very much conflicting information - (ignoring the issue of insulin dependant T2s) about what to do if your ketones are between 0.5 and 3.0 mmol/L.

Either you drink loads of water and sit by the phone, or give yourself a high five for achieving dietary ketosis.

Given the great disparity in the advice I think the forum should have some kind of 'sticky' on ketosis and ketoacidosis.
I will contact the website to suggest they review their page on Diabetes and Ketones, in the light of the significant interest in the LCHF diet (and also of course, of the Atkins diet which IIRC also aims to drive you into ketosis).

Cheers

LGC