Do you check your Ketone’s?

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been advised to check your Ketones?

My blood glucose monitor has a ketone facility on it.
Every so often when I’m checking my BG, it flashes an alert for Ketones.
I’m debating whether I should invest in the strips to enable me to check my ketone level.

Do you check your ketones, if so was it your personal choice or did your DM advise/recommend?

Please will you share any advice and information you can on this.

Thanks all in advance

D

Deleted Account

I was never told to check my ketones until I got a pump.
My understanding is the reason for this is, as a pump has no slow acting insulin, if the pump stops working, my BG is likely to increase quickly and, therefore, I am more susceptible to ketones with a pump.
However, I still very rarely check for ketones unless I know my BG has been high (more than 15) for a few hours. I do not check if there is a single high reading.

Reactions: Libby3781

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on a low carb diet for 5 years (successfully) and have never felt the need to check my ketones. Lots of T2s on here do, however.

M

Member496333

Yes. I check my blood ketones once per week on a Sunday morning. It’s just a personal choice and I only test for my own interest, not for any medical reasons.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that information.

The only reason I’m debating testing is because more often than not my sugars are way above 14/15. I get beyond lunch time and my sugars are into double figures. I’ve been diagnosed as t2, but I’m not convinced, I think my diabetes is t1.

Then by the evening they are even higher, and my Ketone warning on my machine starts flashing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that information.

The only reason I’m debating testing is because more often than not my sugars are way above 14/15. I get beyond lunch time and my sugars are into double figures. I’ve been diagnosed as t2, but I’m not convinced, I think my diabetes is t1.

Then by the evening they are even higher, and my Ketone warning on my machine starts flashing.

In that case, it may be a good idea. There is no harm in it, so why not if it is worrying you.

Are you following a low carb diet? How low?

Soph94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got told to check my ketones whenever my blood sugars was over 10 for a while or few hours I get the strips with my monthly prescription

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I check my ketones when someone posts to ask how often people check their ketones... (I eat keto so I like to make sure I’ve got some :) )

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got told to check my ketones whenever my blood sugars was over 10 for a while or few hours I get the strips with my monthly prescription

Are you a T1 by any chance?

Perhaps you could complete the details in your profile settings to avoid any confusion? (Type of diabetes and medications)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I only test when my blood sugars are over 15 for an hour or so.

Soph94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you a T1 by any chance?

Perhaps you could complete the details in your profile settings to avoid any confusion? (Type of diabetes and medications)

Yes type 1 diagnosed 2 months ago after being type 2 for 3 years! A lot of people have told me this about my profile but I’m unsure how to do it can’t seem to find where I can change my profile?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes type 1 diagnosed 2 months ago after being type 2 for 3 years! A lot of people have told me this about my profile but I’m unsure how to do it can’t seem to find where I can change my profile?

It looks like you're using the app to post on a phone - the profile bits only show up when you go to the website on a laptop or tablet. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

If you use the app, try logging on via your browser to the actual website. On the top bar on the right you will see your user name. Click on that and scroll down a bit. You will see the options for type of diabetes and medications. I'm not sure how to do this on the app. I believe there are more things to "see" if you use the browser.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Soph - If you get stuck for changing your profile, tag in a mod and we'll help out. Diabetes type is very important in relation to the responses you might receive to any questions.