Do you feel safe on your pump?

jagger38

I have been on a pump now for nearly three years, I am on a animas vibe, and while I think it has a lot of benefits, just recently, I have been having some doubts. I went on holiday last week to the west country, and was staying in an area, where there was no mobile signal, and you had to drive about ten minutes to pick one up. I had done a set change that day, and all seemed fine. However by the time I went to bed, it was up to 16.3, and that was when I discovered I did not have any ketone testing strips left. I had packed insulin pens as a back up, but I had no idea if the pump wasn't working, or I was just high. I could not phone Animas to ask for advice, so was stuck on what to do. I was reluctant to do another set change, as it was now nearly 11 at night, so I kept testing, and it kept rising, so I did several corrections. I woke myself up several times throughout the night to test, and finally it started to even out, it was down to 9.8 by the morning. I had got sunburnt that day, but did not realise till later, the effect it can have on blood sugars. However I felt really stressed, and just wanted to be back on mdi. I have become quite anxious about using the pump now, I test religiously, and am always checking the tubing isn't twisted, I am definitely paranoid about safety, and getting ketones. As you don't have any back up insulin on board, I get scared thinking about what if something goes wrong. I am due to go to the hospital soon, so thinking of asking for a pump holiday, just want to get my confidence back in dealing with my diabetes. Considering you have to be attached to a pump 24 hours a day, seven days a week, I am not sure if this is the way forward any more. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to be given this chance, I know a lot of people can't get one for love or money, but it does take a lot of work to be on one, and I don't know if I do. Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia jagger, I find myself stressing like you about it. Ketones are my main worry on the pump and every night for 18 months since having the pump I test at midnight and at 3 to make sure the pump is still working. What you described in the West Country is how I feel deep down when we go to Greece. The only advice I can give you, as it's what i do myself, is try and rationalise the situation I.e. pens are always with you as a back-up, the pump has worked fine to date, my cannula has never come out or kinked so bady that it hasn't delivered insulin and no where is so far that we couldn't drive to get help somewhere. I am waiting for some Cognitive behavioural therapy to help with coming strategies so this may be an option for you too. I also try and remind myself what things were really like on MDI and for me control was a nightmare due to dawn phenomanen and bad hypos. The only plus was that I knew that the insulin had been delivered. All the best.