Do you remember what triggered your t1?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Two events occurred only days before my diagnosis. My mother used to tell me that she had left me in the pram outside Shoreham-by-Sea post office while she popped in to buy some stamps. When she came out, there was a large Alsatian barking into the hood of the pram. The other event has taken on more significance in my mind. My mother had taken my brother and me down to the beach, where I was stung in quick succession, seven times, by wasps. She picked me up and dunked me in the sea in order to calm the swellings and alleviate the pain. Clearly I have no memory of either event, but my subconscious has blamed the wasps. Although many doctors have disagreed with me, I think it is possible that wasp stings could easily have caused my immune system to go into overdrive, whether it be the result of shock or of a sudden rush of histamines. My suspicions have been strengthened over the years. I was eleven months old.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and JAT1

PsychoStephen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I belive it was covid in March 22 I had many symptoms but I put them down to other things until I saw a list of everything I had all together in Feb 23 and was diagnosed and hospitalised the day of my doctors appointment with high ketones

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
what do you mean, "left in a coma"? The child was unconscious and the doctors said "it's okay, it's just a cold"? If it was 2011, then I'm really scared
I'm afraid that this is not unheard of , even in recent times.

Gardevoir

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No history of diabetes in my family, always been healthy, no other medications/illnesses. Got Covid, body stopped creating insulin 2 days later. Couldn't stop drinking nor peeing. I no longer have to wonder why.

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't think of anything that triggered mine. I was 43 with no family history and no illnesses or viruses that I can remember leading up to it. I started feeling unwell in the February when all my joints swelled up. GP tested me for RA and negative except I've since seen the results and the lab did flag an inflammatory marker. By August that year my eyesight was horrendous - optician said I'd missed the prior years appointment and nothing to worry about but I knew something was up. Then the insatiable thirst started and my feet were itching.

Hba1c over 147 and A&E consultant amazed I was still standing. They kept asking me if I'd had a virus but honestly I'd been as healthy as anything so who knows.

• Hug
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is generally believed that autoimmune aggression is innate in us, but we need some kind of trigger (infection, stress, etc.) after which the immune system will start killing our beta cells, but I don't remember anything similar before I started diabetes. Do you remember what it was for you?
I believe this too and have said many times to the Doctors/Consultants I have met that my Grandmother got T2 diabetes after seeing a child run over by a car. They, of course, "poo poo" this idea. I got my T1 diabetes after receiving a phone call whilst at work that my dad has had a heart attack, this came completely out of the blue. You see this quite often that people who have had a shock from a family illness or bereavement go onto to have some kind of medical trauma.

Roppa

I woke up one day and sat up then went dizzy and the room was spinning, I was diagnosed with Labyrinthitis. About one year later I became very ill, I was thirsty all the time I'd lost weight and was vomiting and urinating lots. I was taken to hospital and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, that was 4 years ago. Then to top it all off I got diagnosed with Meneriers disease about a year ago which started off from Labyrinthitis.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i don't remember but my mother says i had a really bad infection in May 1972 ---- i was diagnosed in august 1972 ..........

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The Doctors and medical staff couldn't really pinpoint what triggered my diabetes other than the usual but a few weeks before I was diagnosed we'd had quite some snow and being a schoolkid I was out playing in it when I could and the local railway station had a slope that we slid down on various devices/sleds etc. I was sliding down it head first on my stomach and that's what I put my diabetes down to, might not be the medical diagnosis but it works for me.